This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Fried Clams Etc.

Mtndog

Mtndog Collaborator

These guys claim to have invented the fried clam (I think they probably did) which I had written off as one summer treat I would never be able to eat again. Turns out ALL their fried food except the onion rings and the clam cakes (obviously the rolls too) is and always has been gluten-free! They use corn flour, not wheat!

I went in with my husband today because he wanted to have their chicken fingers and I just enjoy the smell (I'm weird like that) :D....vicarious eating. But he mentioned gluten to the woman and she was like "Oh yeah, everything is gluten-free except the onion rings and clam cakes" SO i clearly had to order the fried clams.

Obviously there is some possibility of CC but they seemed pretty up on things. If I don't react, I am going to die of happiness! I'll keep you posted!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

loraleena Contributor

I think I just saw that place on Phantom Gourmet. They said that their clams were coated with corn flour. I said to my boyfriend, "Wow I wonder if it is gluten free?" Do they share the fryolator with the clam cakes?? Did you react?? How far is Essex from Boston?

Gemini Experienced

I have been to Woodman's myself about a month ago and yes, they are gluten-free except for the above mentioned items. I contacted them a while back and spoke with one of the owner's and they have Celiac in their family, so they know what they are doing. All gluten-free items are fried in a dedicated fryer and they coat everything in corn flour. Just tell them you are Celiac and they absolutely know the drill!

Essex is about 45 min. to an hour north of Boston. It's a lovely area! However, Woodman's has a cult like status in Massachusetts and the lines are long but they move fast. It took us about half an hour from end of line to pick up of order. The fried clams are delicious too....there is practically no grease on the plate when through! It was the first time in my entire 48 years that I ate fried food without feeling like I swallowed a rock.

jerseyangel Proficient

I am truly jealous! The place sounds wonderful :)

Sterndogg Apprentice

Also, The Clam Box in Ipswich uses corn meal and not flour and same goes for J.T. Farnham's in Essex - at least both places did the last time I was there...

DingoGirl Enthusiast

OMG - - - do they ship? ;) this makes me intensely jealous!!!! :lol:

loraleena Contributor

I am so psyched! I am going next weekend when I am in Boston area. My boyfriend and I were just talking about how much we wanted fried clams. I have not had them for years!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mtndog Collaborator
Also, The Clam Box in Ipswich uses corn meal and not flour and same goes for J.T. Farnham's in Essex - at least both places did the last time I was there...

OMG- Franham's too! WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO REACTION whatsoever. want to go back tonight and tomorrow night and every day for lunch. This discovery will SURELY make me fat (now if only clams would increase your BRA size and not your waist size!) :P

Essex is probably about 30-40 min from Boston- next to Ipswich and Gloucester- you can make a day of it. Crane or Wingaersheek Beach and then fried seafood! Farnham's is right down the street from Woodman's!

Holy FRIED FRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ginsou Explorer

I'm so glad I saw this post....I'm originally from Lynn, and Swampscott, MA and some of my favorite memories have been of going out for fried clams and/or scallops. I now live in the western part of the US, and, unfortunately, the next time I visit will be for my 95 year old mom's departure from life. I will make it a point of revisiting my favorite places, and will certainly visit Essex, MA again. If I remember correctly, the Clam Box uses evaporated milk in their clams....I'm lactose intolerant....

DOCKLEARFAN Apprentice
These guys claim to have invented the fried clam (I think they probably did) which I had written off as one summer treat I would never be able to eat again. Turns out ALL their fried food except the onion rings and the clam cakes (obviously the rolls too) is and always has been gluten-free! They use corn flour, not wheat!

I went in with my husband today because he wanted to have their chicken fingers and I just enjoy the smell (I'm weird like that) :D....vicarious eating. But he mentioned gluten to the woman and she was like "Oh yeah, everything is gluten-free except the onion rings and clam cakes" SO i clearly had to order the fried clams.

Obviously there is some possibility of CC but they seemed pretty up on things. If I don't react, I am going to die of happiness! I'll keep you posted!

You guys Rock !!! I live in Salem, and I am going there this week!!

Gemini Experienced

Hello Ginsou.....I grew up in Peabody and still live in Massachusetts myself. Make sure you get to Woodman's because those clams are well worth it! :D

Ellsabeta Newbie

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

That is such good news. I'm making a trip up there VERY soon!

Sterndogg Apprentice

FYI: The Clam Box in Ipswich, MA coats their clams in a small amount of flour. However, you can ask them to prepare the clams with just corn meal as they are aware of gluten-intolerance yet they said they can't guarantee cross contamination due to the oil. If you arrive around 2:30pm or at 11 am the oil is fresh.

jaten Enthusiast

I know where I wanna go for our next vacation! Forget the Grand Canyon. Who needs a bunch of red dirt with a big hole in it....SAFE FRIED CLAMS!! :D

Nothing beats Celiac to help establish real priorities. ;)

Gemini Experienced
I know where I wanna go for our next vacation! Forget the Grand Canyon. Who needs a bunch of red dirt with a big hole in it....SAFE FRIED CLAMS!! :D

Nothing beats Celiac to help establish real priorities. ;)

I laughed my butt off when I read this post!!!!!! I agree, although I would like to see the Grand Canyon!

The clams are to die for too! Not greasy and crisp so this is a pilgrimmage every Celiac must make. :D The mecca of the non-Islamic world!

loraleena Contributor

Oh my god. Went to Woodman's on Labor day! Wow, great clams and french fries and not greasy or heavy. The portions are huge!! My friend commented on how light and awake he felt. He said he usually feels tired and crappy after fried foods or lots of bread. I said maybe you are gluten intolerant to!

• 4 weeks later...
Joanne11 Apprentice

Can't wait to go home this weekend for a wedding, I have been thinking of fried clams all summer, my mother lives about 10 minutes from this place. I have informed my family that it will be a manditory stop. They think I am a little weird for flipping out over fried clams :)

• 6 years later...
Kristina1223 Newbie

I would like to clear up the comments on gluten free at the Clam Box of Ipswich.  I'm a long time employee there so I know the practices.  We are NOT gluten free.  Our flour mixture is a blend of 3 parts corn flour to 1 part white flour.  Upon request we can cook your order in just corn flour but we do NOT have a dedicated fryer so your order is being cooked in oil that has had white flour in it.   

kareng Grand Master

I would like to clear up the comments on gluten free at the Clam Box of Ipswich.  I'm a long time employee there so I know the practices.  We are NOT gluten free.  Our flour mixture is a blend of 3 parts corn flour to 1 part white flour.  Upon request we can cook your order in just corn flour but we do NOT have a dedicated fryer so your order is being cooked in oil that has had white flour in it.

THanks.

This thread is from 2007. Products change over time but an up date is nice.

gluten-is-kryptonite Apprentice

Did someone just say gluten free deep fried clams in a dedicated fryer. About. To. Freak. Out. Where is this place? Unbelievable. Must.Go.

kareng Grand Master

Did someone just say gluten free deep fried clams in a dedicated fryer. About. To. Freak. Out. Where is this place? Unbelievable. Must.Go.

These comments are from 2007. Practices may have changed. Places go out of business. Previous posters are not around.....

Gemini Experienced

Thank you, Kristina, for posting this.  I live in Mass. and always look for places to go so thank you for letting us know that the Clam Box is not safe for Celiac's.  Too bad but I completely understand what goes into having a separate fryer. This place is another institution but for gluten eaters only!  It actually looks like a clam box too....google it!

Gemini Experienced

Are you in Massachusetts near to Essex?  If you are, then go ahead and freak out because this is the place to go for Celiac's.....

Open Original Shared Link

You can get gluten-free onion rings, which rock by the way, but only if they are not busy.  It takes some extra time to do them and this place packs them in at peak season.  I try and go off times because the onion rings are some of the best around.

Kristina1223 Newbie

Woodman's in Essex MA offers a gluten free menu

• 3 years later...
Evelyn Fullerton Newbie
On 8/19/2007 at 10:51 PM, DOCKLEARFAN said:

You guys Rock !!! I live in Salem, and I am going there this week!!

Legal seafoods is gluten free they even have gluten free rolls.MY son took me there for Mothers Day this year and I thought I would have to settle for a cheeseburger without the bun but much to my delight the server told me I could have the burger but he informed me that there's a little icon near all the items that are gluten free needless to say I had fried clams and french fries with gluten free rolls from a bakery  called sweet without the wheat from Woburn Ma.

Archived