Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Maggi315

Restless Legs Again

Guest Maggi315

Hi,

I am pretty much a lurker, but have a question about restless legs. I have a terrible case of them, have had them for 12 years at least, now spreading into my arms. i am taking requip which helps greatly,but causes me to vomit all the time (not very nice side effect, huh?) I took klonipin which was a huge help, but I became more and more addicted which I didn't like, so I weaned off that. I also take lots and lots of supplements which don't seem to make any difference in those symptoms.

Ihave heard there is a connection between gluten and RLS. Anyone else see a big improvement after going off gluten? what about other allergens? How long did you have to go off the gluten or other foods before you saw a difference? I have been tested for all kinds of foods, only tested postive to chocolate, which I have been off for about 2 months, no difference.

Also, is there any studies about restless legs and allergies/gluten anyone has seen? I would be interested in learning more about that.

thanks! If I don't start sleeping better, i might go insane!

Hi thanks for your post.

I've had the tinggling on my legs and arms for many years, after going gluten free for about 2-3 months it dissapeared. Everyone is different. Today I am almost 5 months on the diet and I don't have it anymore, thanks the heavens, especially at night when you try to rest.

I hope you get better. If I find any studies I will pass it to you.

Best regards to you.

My husband has SEVERE RLS and it is also in his arms, just as bad. He has not been tested for celiac, but I suspect he has it. His sleep doctor just did a test for low ferritin (iron stores) levels. I guess that sometimes RLS is associated with low iron levels. DH got the results back and he has incredibly low ferritin levels. Low iron levels, as you might know, are associated with celiac also. I would think this would be the relationship between RLS and celiac. Any others have thoughts on this?

DH is calling his primary doctor this week to do the celiac blood panel -- he also has other symptoms...

BTW -- he has been taking Requip for almost a year. It works for a few months, then wears off and he has to increase his dose. Now it's not working well at all anymore -- his doctor says that's because of his iron levels.