saaa-wheat<3

Anyone Here Sensitive To Fillers Such As Cellulose?

Rate this topic

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 7:20 AM, Ennis_TX said:

Well this just explained a metric ton of my issues....wax veggies make me puke, condiments with cellulose gel in them make me puke, certain medications make me puke, certain powder mixes do, etc. I never made that connection but yes I do get a itchy rash when they put ECG electrodes on me. Here I thought it was the fact I have a corn allergen and perhaps they were corn derived never thought of the pine thing, might have to have that checked.

Xantham gum has the EXACT same reaction as the cellulose gel/cellulose fiber issue. I puke a few hours after ingesting it with a bunch of mucus like film I thought it was just a inability to digest it.

I am GLUTEN/CORN FREE and not able to take Paediatric liquid meds because they contain CORN/MAIZE based derivitaves unfortunately otherwise that would be my problem solved with fillers starches and additives, how I wish. I always check the so called INACTIVE INGREDIENTS to find out hidden additives. CELLULOSE/FIBRE/GEL/GUM comes from plant fibres, (Corn, Pine, and others),  which is also nearon impossible for people like myself who are HYPOTHYROID to digest and so the reason for my awful reactions.

Edited by Lucylou2013
I wanted to add some more information in answer.

30 minutes ago, Lucylou2013 said:

I am GLUTEN/CORN FREE and not able to take Paediatric liquid meds because they contain CORN/MAIZE based derivitaves unfortunately otherwise that would be my problem solved with fillers starches and additives, how I wish. I always check the so called INACTIVE INGREDIENTS to find out hidden additives. CELLULOSE/FIBRE/GEL/GUM comes from plant fibres, (Corn, Pine, and others),  which is also nearon impossible for people like myself who are HYPOTHYROID to digest and so the reason for my awful reactions.

Are you actually hypothyroid?  If so, you should consult your doctor about thyroid hormone replacement.  

On 28/01/2008 at 10:00 AM, Flo BInks said:

I'm so glad to know that I am not the only one who reacts to cellulose, in whatever form. I get the same reactions as I get to gluten, except no D. It turns up everywhere, even in a lot of gluten-free foods. Its a big problem because most medications use it as a filler.

The manufacturers claim it is gluten free; I've even seen it suggested on celiac sites as a "safe" filler.

I am reacting to cellulose in all my meds...a horrendous journey and a lengthy one. After having my second compound script done in Vegie capsules I have found out the capsule is made with Hydroxypropylmethyl callulose as one of the ingredients. I have intense burning pain from neck to tailbone, peripheral neuropathy up to my knees, burning insides and diarrhea. Been off my meds for a month now trying to sort it, not fun. Waiting another 6 wks yet to see allergist. I am also gluten free and these symptoms are same as gluten.

Edited by Lucylou2013
Wanted to include cellulose name

On 05/01/2010 at 11:53 AM, Lgood22573 said:

WOw- I cannot believe I found this topic. I was searching cellulose!!!! Every single time I eat it, I get immediate bone pain, making me sick. I can't figure out what the heck it is and why it is in everything I eat from cheese to my cold medicine. I'll eat something I think is safe then BAM bone pain and then go read and there it is AGAIN cellulose! I'm so glad you posted that info! I am on synthroid for my thyroid meds I don't know what's in it, I guess I should do some research.

Pleased to meet you but sad you have this problem. I too am having cellulose issues and the BONE PAIN IS AWFUL, all the way down my body from neck to hips, tailbone and groin with awful pain when sitting, not to mention sleeping and stiffness AND diarroa. The symptoms are the same as my gluten attacks. Yes its in EVERYTHING,  Pharmacueticals,  foods and YES, also completely indigestible to humans. Now waiting for 6 wks to see Allergist. Manufacturers are killing us just to prolong shelf life and make money. 

On 11/27/2017 at 7:20 PM, Lucylou2013 said:

I am reacting to cellulose in all my meds...a horrendous journey and a lengthy one. After having my second compound script done in Vegie capsules I have found out the capsule is made with Hydroxypropylmethyl callulose as one of the ingredients. I have intense burning pain from neck to tailbone, peripheral neuropathy up to my knees, burning insides and diarrhea. Been off my meds for a month now trying to sort it, not fun. Waiting another 6 wks yet to see allergist. I am also gluten free and these symptoms are same as gluten.

Lucy Lou,

If it is a med you can not go without can you ask the pharmacist if you can open the capsule and remove the contents and adding to and taking it with applesauce, yogurt, pudding or some other food that is soft and you are tolerant to, to mask the taste. 

It may not taste pleasant but may get you around the cellulose issue. Depends on the level of sensitivity. If the cellulose is only in capsule it might work.

if that won't work:

Lastly, you can look into empty beef or fish gelatin based capsules. Some supplement companies sell them. Double check they are just pure beef or fish gelatin and they don't add additional agents. You then can maybe fill them with your own powder or bring them to a compounding pharmacist if you have one.

good luck

On 27/11/2017 at 8:20 PM, Lucylou2013 said:

I am so happy (in that sick, weird sort of way) to hear you describe your symptoms. Are you confirmed celiac? I am not, and just joined this forum today to try to find more answers. 

Three+ weeks ago I started taking a new vitamin, a timed released methylated B complex. I had a horrible five days until I realised what had caused it and cut it out. It felt like I had swallowed an industrial strength plastic shredder and all the plastic to go with it. It also caused a flare up of long-managed candida. The ingredient listed: "hypromelose SR agent."  A week later I returned to taking a different brand I have used for years. Started to react the same way. Even removing the contents from the capsule didnt help.  Its filler ingredient list includes "microcrystilline cellulose." At least I caught the reaction early enough, I didn't suffer too badly.  Four days ago I picked up my usual prescriptions including my allergy meds, which I had been without for almost a month (because I'm lazy like that.)  I noticed the pharmacy had switched back to the manufacturer I first had when I started on this Rx last year at this time. I took one dose divided into two between 3 and 9pm. By 10pm my legs were cramping like crazy - the same way they get when I've had gluten. Got up the next morning, and my leg muscles were sore from cramping so hard. Took one more half dose around 10am of the allergy pill (which is 10mg) and by 12 I was in full blown gastric distress. Mote than 48hrs later I'm still recovering. The description you use of your insides feeling hot and that you react the same way to gluten really stood out to me. My last reaction to cellulose is exactly how I react to gluten, and also tapioca. First my legs start to cramp, then my guts begin to roll. It feels hot, and I feel like I am both constipated and have a strong, urgent need to void. My belly bloats like crazy, and the gas noises rolling along my lower intestines are audible to anyone sitting near me. I also noticed with the initial reaction that I had the same joint pain and creaking/crunching knees I had for decades before I cut out gluten. 

I'm so glad I'm not alone in this. Most doctors I have seen over the past nine years think I'm nuts. 

I was chemically poisoned in 2006 on five occasions, it was found I had positive reactions to Formaldehyde which led to Hypertensive Anaphylaxis with Cellulose. HPMC, Hydroxypropylmethylcellulose in the gluten free diet, Hypromellose as a coating on medications, also coloured paints the list is endless. In the mean time I have discovered that wheat and barley are sprayed with Glyphosate two weeks before harvest a, to kill the plant and increase the yield. A gut biopsy of Reduced folds d2 is only an indication of gut damage and HLA-DQ2 40% of the population has. The increased use of Glyphosate goes parrall to increased Coeliac Disease. Glyphosate’s end product is Formaldehyde. Well worth thinking about.

I can't believe others have the same problems I have.  I know we have all had a long and painful road to getting a diagnosis and then to go gluten-free and still have problems is disheartening.   I found out that the reaction to cellulose is a symptom of IBS-D for some people, and I now suspect I also have that, which complicates matters immensely.  I tried the FODMAPS diet which is gluten free AND IBS-D diet and have been helped immensely (with the exception of still getting DH rash).  I have been checking food labels, but eating out can be perilous.   And I just found out that most of the RXs and supplements I take have cellulose, which is a "don't eat this" for me.  Sometimes it seems like you just can't win!

3 hours ago, Roberta S said:

I can't believe others have the same problems I have.  I know we have all had a long and painful road to getting a diagnosis and then to go gluten-free and still have problems is disheartening.   I found out that the reaction to cellulose is a symptom of IBS-D for some people, and I now suspect I also have that, which complicates matters immensely.  I tried the FODMAPS diet which is gluten free AND IBS-D diet and have been helped immensely (with the exception of still getting DH rash).  I have been checking food labels, but eating out can be perilous.   And I just found out that most of the RXs and supplements I take have cellulose, which is a "don't eat this" for me.  Sometimes it seems like you just can't win!

Trick with the capsules made of cellulose....dump them into a small medicine cup toss the cellulose pill shells and down the powder and chase with a drink. -_- I do this with most of mine...nasty and I have to mix a sweetener in with it sometimes but lets me take them without the vomiting of that weird film that forms from me eating it.

Just to let people know that cellulose is also a derivative of wood pulp. It is commonly used in foods and medicines as a preservative. Here is the website that gives a little bit of the detail. I am allergic to fresh cut would therefore I really check my stuff. I also switched from my thyroid medication to a brand new one that only has a gelcap and the thyroid medication in it.https://www.prevention.com/food-nutrition/healthy-eating/a20457107/31-foods-that-contain-sawdust/

Edited by Tina S

I agree! Ingredient listed as “hypoallergenic plant fiber (cellulose)” on the package made me feel awful for a week and being I am currently dealing with leaky gut issues, believe this along with pine wood pulp and all its unmentioned chemicals went straight to my blood stream where it doesn’t belong and seemed my liver was not enjoying this at all.

If you have leaky gut you need to get it resolved bc it’s a waste of livelihood and leads to further disease such as liver or auto-immune conditions. Make sure you find a good multivitamin, spore probiotic, and get plenty of omega 3s and nutrients.