This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Has Anyone Tried Glutenease?

Ginsou

Ginsou Explorer

Has anyone tried the product GlutenEase manufactured for Enzymedica,Inc? www.enzymedica.com

I just discovered this product in the local natural food grocer and purchased it. It's worth a try....I would love to be able to have a Subway sub every other week or so, or go out to eat with family every once in a while. I'm lactose intolerant and have discovered the lactase enzyme pills I have taken for years are now labeled "contains wheat".Lactaid Ultra is also on the contains wheat list. That explains why they really didn't work too well. Perhaps I've had a gluten or wheat problem all along in addition to the lactose intolerance. The lactose intolerance was confirmed many years ago by tests. The GlutenEase recommends taking the product combined with Digest Gold, another enzyme that I am unfamiliar with. I am taking a Probiotic Acidophilius with bifidus product and it is working well.

In April of this year I became very, very ill. I ended up in the emergency room and had an emergency CT scan done. Normal results. No diverticulitus as suspected. I've gone gluten free on my own.....with great results. My blood tests for Celiac and H.Pylori came back negative, and since I have no insurance, I cannot continue to see a gastroenterologist. I may have a stool test done by Entero Labs just for my own curiosity.

Any feedback about GlutenEase would be appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cruelshoes Enthusiast
Has anyone tried the product GlutenEase manufactured for Enzymedica,Inc? www.enzymedica.com

I just discovered this product in the local natural food grocer and purchased it. It's worth a try....I would love to be able to have a Subway sub every other week or so, or go out to eat with family every once in a while. I'm lactose intolerant and have discovered the lactase enzyme pills I have taken for years are now labeled "contains wheat".Lactaid Ultra is also on the contains wheat list. That explains why they really didn't work too well. Perhaps I've had a gluten or wheat problem all along in addition to the lactose intolerance. The lactose intolerance was confirmed many years ago by tests. The GlutenEase recommends taking the product combined with Digest Gold, another enzyme that I am unfamiliar with. I am taking a Probiotic Acidophilius with bifidus product and it is working well.

In April of this year I became very, very ill. I ended up in the emergency room and had an emergency CT scan done. Normal results. No diverticulitus as suspected. I've gone gluten free on my own.....with great results. My blood tests for Celiac and H.Pylori came back negative, and since I have no insurance, I cannot continue to see a gastroenterologist. I may have a stool test done by Entero Labs just for my own curiosity.

Any feedback about GlutenEase would be appreciated.

Open Original Shared Link to many posts on Glutenease. At this time, there is no pill that will allow people who have celiac disease or are gluten intollerant to consume gluten. While I'm pretty sure it couldn't hurt you, I'm not convinced it would help, either. Believe me, if there was a pill that would let me eat Dominos Pizza, I would have it in my hand right now. :)

Be careful out there...

CarlaB Enthusiast

A celiac should not take Glutenease and purposely consume gluten. You might see if it gives you some relief after an accidental glutening.

Nathan's mom Apprentice

Great product, but not for Celiacs!!

I have been using enzymes with my son to aid in his digestion. They have been helpful in getting him to have more normal bowel movements. We have used V-gest by Enzymedica. His blood tests were high, but haven't had a biopsy done (don't want him to go on gluten now just to do that!). I think enzymes are great to try, HOWEVER, Glutenease is not for Celiacs.

Go to enzymestuff.com and you will find a link/info page concerning it. The Glutenease is supposed to break the bonds (in several places) in gluten and casein and help those who have either had trouble digesting it or dealing with body reactions to it.

It is not for Celiac though and the manufacturer does not suggest that although some vitamin warehouse online sites have descriptions suggesting that it might help with that. No one with any credibility suggests that something else besides a gluten-free diet will help. There is a suggestion I believe though that it may help some with CC issues.

You will have to be sure you do not have celiac disease before experimenting with it.

gfpaperdoll Rookie

I am gluten free & dairy Free & mostly grain free.

I am not trying glutenease or lactose pills etc. Just something to waste your money on while compromising your health...

Ginsou Explorer

Thanks for the information and links. Since I've already purchased and opened the product, I will keep it for "episodes" and see if it helps. I'm still new to this health problem. Several weeks ago I took some chicken breast strips out of the freezer...they were not in the original packaging. Put them in soup, and was sick for 8 days. Found out they were Louis Rich Chicken Breast Strips that are on the do not eat list. My husband has suggested purging my system using a phosphate oral saline laxative......the next time perhaps I may try that....the pain was really bad for a day and lessened after that.

As a "newbie" I was unaware that I should not have stopped the gluten before having blood tests done and my results were negative for Celiac. Next year I will be able to have additional tests done, and this forum and the information on it has kept me well in the past month. Thank you everyone...especially Scott for starting the forum.

Guest j_mommy

I have heard that taking products like that are helpful when you go out and eat....to reduce the effects of CC, but not to purposely eat gluten!!

Best of Luck, it's hard as you first learn it all and when you see things like glutenease...you want to jump for joy until you read the fine print! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ENF Enthusiast

I've got my fingers crossed for Alba Therapeutics Corporation's AT-1001 study - it looks very promising. If all goes well, otherwise, I hope it doesn't take numerous years for them to obtain approval for marketing it.

Nathan's mom Apprentice

Oops, forgot to add....

In case you are certain you are gluten intolerant and not celiac and want to try Glutenease, do check out "Go With Your Gut" by Karen DeSilva. She has a chapter on "The Low and Slow Method". Enzymes do other great things like help repair and clean out the gut. However, that can cause some discomfort or other reactions. You wouldn't want to confuse whatever the product might initially be doing in you before challenging gluten. You start with a very little bit at a time and get used to it and then do a challenge. There's just a lot of great information in the book about the digestive system and not just about gluten.

Debbie

gfpaperdoll Rookie

being gluten intolerant can still lead to villi damage, remember that 1% to 3% of positive biopsy that do not have DQ2 ot DQ8.

I am double DQ1 & I consider myself at risk...

my mother died of colon cancer

my double DQ1 friend had positive biopsy & has osteoporosis & HS

so if you think gluten intolerance is a "light sentence" think again! or just ask some of us :o:o

Cynbd Contributor

I'm lactose intolerant and have discovered the lactase enzyme pills I have taken for years are now labeled "contains wheat".Lactaid Ultra is also on the contains wheat list. That explains why they really didn't work too well. Perhaps I've had a gluten or wheat problem all along in addition to the lactose intolerance. The lactose intolerance was confirmed many years ago by tests. T

Hold the phone.... did you say that Lactaid Ultra contains wheat? Holy schmack... since when? I don't want to change the subject here but this could be a big revelation for me.... I understood that Lactaid was safe.. did something change?

In the past few weeks I have gotten sick every time I have had dairy and taken Lactaid. I never used to get sick with dairy if I took my lactaid, so I have been on the "Maybe I am casein intolerant..... Yikes...

Archived