Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Lovebug

Nexium, Mentos And More

I've been hanging around this board today, trying to find out what others' experiences have been with Nexium and Mentos. It seems a lot of people are Mentos addicts, as was I, until I realized that my last two (or more) bouts of vomiting are directly attributable to my eating Mentos. I had a "light blub" moment when, after spending the other night hunkered down over the toilet bowl, I put a Mentos in my mouth the following morning and immediately started cramping up and becoming nauseous. One of the threads I found this morning discussed the fact that the fructose in Mentos is derived from wheat. So this is a warning to those of you who haven't found that thread from 2005. Mentos are dangerous to your health!!

And then, just as my tummy was starting to feel good again, I took a Nexium last night before bed and woke early this morning with mild cramps and bloating. Or could it be the ice cream I ate after dinner? Hmmm . . .

Anybody have any thoughts here?

Sue

FYI- The last tube of Mentos I bought said "wheat" on the ingredients label!!!!! READ!!!! I thought they were safe, and just picked them up and la la la, but looked down and whoa!! Just goes to show you that you can't assume it is safe because it used to be or because you "just can't image it would have wheat in it" like I have done before.

On Nexium, you might want to contact the company. I have taken it with no problems (pre-diagnosis). I do not believe it has gluten in it.

http://www.purplepill.com/contact/contact_us.aspx

Contact Us

If you would like additional information regarding AstraZeneca's products, please contact the Information Center at AstraZeneca in the U.S. at 1-800-236-9933, Monday through Friday 8am - 7pm ET, excluding holidays.

Fructose from Wheat?? OMG what next? I am very new to all of this and have been on this website nearly all night reading and reading and learning a lot of new stuff.

I have only been diagnosed for about 3 months now with celiac disease and was eating Mento's in the box because I thought they were okay. The ones in the rolls for some weird reasons have colorants added but the ones in the boxes are colored with veggie dyes, like beet juice etc. Go figure?

Well, so much for Mento's. I have come to the conclusion that if it tastes good, its probably got wheat or gluten in it somewhere!

Please help me understand the fructose and wheat connection. Fructose is a form of sugar that is generally derived from fruit. It is on the celiac.com safe food ingredients list. The wheat derived sugar that is included in Mentos is glucose syrup, isn't it? I don't eat mentos, but I would like to understand what ingredient we are talking about so I can file it away in my memory banks. They recently started labeling the Werthers candy that I loved as including wheat from the glucose syrup. Boy was I crying the day I read that on the label.