Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lovegrov

Bette Hagman Very Ill

This just popped up on the celiac listserv:

Dear gluten-free friends;

It is with sadness and a heavy heart that I share this news and ask for

your support - one last time - for a dear, sweet lady - Bette Hagman.

Bette Hagman is seriously ill. She is trying to be strong by is weakening

quickly by this illness.

We want Bette, the author of the Gluten Free Gourmet series of cookbooks,=

to know how much she has done to make a difference in the gluten-free diet by

pioneering great tasting gluten-free foods.

Bette reads every card and note that comes to her. We want her to know she

is not forgotten and her work is appreciated. Please consider sending your

thoughts, emails and cards to Bette via the GIG office. We will deliver=

them to her daily. Please act now. Let her know how much we appreciate her.

Send your notes and cards to: Bette Hagman

c/o GIG

31214 - 124 Ave SE

Auburn WA 98092-3667

Or send an email to: gig@gluten.net. In the subject line put: For Bette

Hagman

You may also fax a note to: 253-833-6675

Please keep Bette and her daughter Karole in your thoughts and prayers.

Cynthia Kupper, RD, celiac disease

Executive Director

Gluten Intolerance Group of North AmericaR

31214 - 124 Ave SE, Auburn WA 98092-3667

Phone: 253-833-6655 Fax: 253-833-6675

www.GLUTEN.net <http://www.gluten.net/>

www.GFCO.org <http://www.gfco.org/>

www.GlutenFreeRestaurants.org

I just heard from Cynthia Kupper, Executive Director of GIG, that Bette Hagman passed away quietly this afternoon at home. No futher info was provided.

BURDEE

what a sad day for the celiac community but Bette left a lasting legacy for us all.

prayers for her family.

i GUESS THIS IS TRUE BUT HAVEN'T SEEN IT ANY WHERE ELSE.

KNOW RICHARD WOULDN'T POST IF IT WASN'T.

JUST SURPRISED I HAVEN'T SEEN IT ANYWHERE ELSE

I DID A POST ON DAILY STRENGTH BUT WANT TO MAKE SURE THIS IS CORRECT INFO.

THANKS RICHARD.

JUDY

HI

WHAT OTHER CELIAC BOARDS ARE YOU ON IF I CAN ASK?

I am so sad to hear of her death! She was my touchstone when I felt tossed in confusion about celiac. I kept 2 copies of her"Gluten Free Gourmet", and I loan out a third copy to newly diagnosed celiacs. She helped me feel empowered when control was absent;hope and confidence when I went to the stores......and only today, recommended her books to my niece.

I send my prayers to such a wonderful pioneer.

I'm saddened to hear this news, but not at all surprised. She was in her 80's or 90's. She brought more hope to my bleak celiac life than anyone. I remember when her first gourmet cookbook came out I was so excited!

we've lost the "ground breaker" of original gluten free cooking. Wishing God's blessings on her soul and her family. She is missed already.

I had sent an e-mail to GIG to find out if any services or memorials had been set up yet. Here is the info that I got back from them:

Bette passed away Friday August 17, 2007.

We are working very closely with Karol and will notify the Celiac Community when arrangements are complete. We do know a memorial service will be held at a later date. At this time we do not have the final details for contributions.

Bette Hagman--A True Pioneer

I believe that if there is any person whose name is synonymous with the term "gluten-free," it is Bette Hagman. She was a true pioneer and Maverick for the celiac disease/gluten-free community, and her hard work helped millions of people worldwide stay healthy by allowing them to stay happily gluten-free--she made the gluten-free diet taste wonderful! Perhaps the most beautiful thing about Bette's books, however, was their ability to make those on a gluten-free diet feel normal again (which is no easy task!).

It is rare when someone is able to live their life in such a way that they can reach out and touch so many others in such a positive way--and have a real impact on their lives--Bette was able to do this. Her work will be read by millions more in the years to come, and her influence will live on and continue to grow and touch the lives of many others whom she will never meet.

Bette will never be forgotten.

I received this from GIG today about where to send condolences to Bette Hagman's family:

Here is more information about sending condolences to Karol, Bette Hagman's daughter.

Karol is planning on keeping all the notes sent in honor of her mother. We have a collection started for her. Send your condolences to GIG@gluten.net and we will forward to Karol.

Cynthia Kupper, RD, celiac disease

Executive Director

Gluten Intolerance Group of North America®

31214 - 124 Ave SE, Auburn WA 98092-3667

Phone: 253-833-6655 Fax: 253-833-6675

This is very sad news. Three weeks ago I bought her Gluten-Free Gourmet Bakes Bread - 200 Wheat Free breads. I am new to the whole wheat free life style and the one thing I have not been able to tolerate is the commercial breads. I figured someone, somewhere had to have done something better. I found the book and started collecting the things I needed to bake some of them. I even have been scouring Freecycle.org for bread machines. I just got a few days ago.

I will write to her family and let them know that she was my light at the end of the tunnel, I thought I wouldn't make it without some real bread and my kids definitely wouldn't it.