This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Looking For A Gastro Doc In Pittsburgh Area

gffamily

gffamily Rookie

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good gastro doc in the Pittsburgh area? I have had myself tested through Enterolab after my daughter was diagnosed with gluten sensitivity. My daughter has made a fantastic recovery, but I'm a little unsure about what to do. My results indicated gluten sensitivity, moderate malabsorption, and immune responses to casein, soy, yeast and eggs. I have eliminated the gluten, soy and casein because that is the diet my daughter is on, so it wasn't totally overwhelmingl. I just eat what I make for her. However, since I continue to eat eggs and yeast, I have a lot of questions about how that will affect my healing, and malabsorption. I also am wondering what the malabsorption means, like does that mean I have celiacs vs. gluten sensitivity? If I eat gluten-free will my gut heal and then my other sensitivities go away? Anyway, I need to speak to a doc that understands and believes in the Enterolab tests. My gp is supportive but admits he doesn't know anything about it.

So if anyone has any advice for me, I would appreciate it!

Thank you!!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Hi,gffamily!

I have heard that the celiac clinic at AGH (Allegheny General Hospital) is good, but I have never been there. I'm kinda doing the gluten-free thing on my own, as the doctor who ordered my bloodwork (a dermatologist) was an idiot and told me that it's perfectly normal to have an IgG of 64 when the base range is 0-16.

I am able to recommend a good endocrinologist, though, if you need one--she read the blood work that the derm had ordered and said, "Excuse me, this says you HAVE celiac." And she told me that she is now testing all diabetic patients for gluten intolerance.

Do you recommend your GP? I'd love to find one who is supportive!!! I'm in the North Hills, where are you?

As far as the difference between gluten intolerance and celiac disease, IMHO it doesn't make a difference--either way you need to be off gluten.

If you are having immune responses to other things, I'd eliminate them all for now, and then re-introduce them in a few months one at a time and see if you notice any difference. Only time can tell if they will go away or not, but in the meantime, healing is #1 priority, right?

Many here might recommend that you stay on gluten and have an endoscopy to see the extent of damage, but that wouldn't be my course of action. I see that as a totally unnecessary invasive, risky, and expensive procedure UNLESS you or a doctor has reason to believe that there is something else to see. Besides, unless your villi are 100% completely damaged, it's totally a hit-or-miss thing anyway. My understanding is, even though they've been calling it the "gold standard" for years, it's actually not nearly as accurate in terms of gluten intolerance/celiac/diagnosis as bloodwork/Enterolab and dietary response. But others will disagree, and they have valid points, too, so go with whatever works best for you.

gffamily Rookie

Hi fiddle faddle! It's great to meet someone in the area who is familiar with all this stuff. I live in Glenshaw. Do you know the area?

Maybe if I decide to go see a gastroenterologist I'll check into AGH then. I am not sure what I'll do, but I've been having joint pain, (hips), and I'm currently breastfeeding my son, so part of my concern is that 1) he's getting all the nutrients he needs, and 2) I have enough left over so that I'm not risking osteoporosis or something. I'm not sure what the gastro doc would do to help. I'd still be on the diet. I kind of just want to know where I am with this, (but maybe there's nothing else to find out...)

I do like my GP. He's a family practice doc in Aspinwall. He is my daughter and son's doc too. My daughter was sick and he was encouraging while we were trying to figure things out. We weren't thrilled with the gastro doc we saw from Children's, (a very old school thinker who told us that my daughter's scope came back "negative for celiacs" but she should go on the gluten-free diet 95% and come back for another scope in a year). We got my daughter tested through Enterolab, started a gluten-free, casein free and soy free diet for her, and brought the information to our GP. He said that the tests look like they may have an answer for us, and he thought the diet was a good idea. He also told us that no matter who we talk to, be aware that there is so much unknown about celiacs and gluten sensitivity that if we meet someone who is 100% sure of themselves, we should walk away.

You're probably right about cutting out the other stuff. I've been dragging my feet, but I knew the time would come!

Thanks for you're input. It helps to hear from someone who understands.

Woo-hoo--we're neighbors!

Odd to hear a doctor say to walk away from anyone who is 100% sure of themselves--usually doctors are the ones who are so sure of themselves, at least when writing prescriptions! PM me if you have any questions about local stuff (except I don't know much about the local doctors, unfortunately).

kalikohl Rookie

just wanted to stop in and say hi. i'm a fellow burgher too... in the south hills.

i didn't know agh had a celiac's clinic. very cool

Hi, kalikohl!

Lucky you, South Hills! I take my kids to Suzuki lessons/classes at Pittsburgh Music Academy, which is in Carnegie. I meet a lot of Mt. Lebanonites there. The only drawback is dealing with those dang tunnels... :ph34r:

There's a good health food store on Banksville (the name is totally escaping me), right next to Kuhn's Grocery, and I hear there's a great one in McMurray. Didn't I read in the paper that a gluten-free bakery will be opening up on your side of town as well as the one in Squirrel Hill?

gffamily Rookie

Hi Kalikohl!

It's great to *meet* people from the area!

Do either of you know when the gluten-free bakery(ies)are supposed to open? I had heard only about the one in squirrel Hill. (It's called "Gluuteny" or something like that).

By the way, have either of you had any contact with the local celiac support group? I considered contacting them for recommendations regarding finding a doc that is knowledgeable about gluten sensitivity, or treating those whose diagnosis was not obtained through a scope. I somehow got the impression from their website that they might be more for the traditionally diagnosed celiac.

Then again, maybe I'm imagining a separation in the community that doesn't really exist.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 year later...
estelita Rookie

Hey all! I live in Altoona now but was born in Butler and am back in the area after 10 years in New Jersey, where I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. Now I know after going gluten free that it was really celiac!

So... where do I start? Should I go to Allegheny General and get a doc? It'd be about an hour and a half drive, but it would be worth it. No one here knows anything and it's frustrating!

JBaby Enthusiast

When i did my search on this site in a Doctor thread, I think, or was it a lnk on the main page...dont remember, there were only 3 Pittsburgh docs listed and i believe they all work at same practice. Unfortunately where and names I cant recall. I didnt know there was a celiac clininc also. Lived here all my life. I am going this alone since my insurance dropped me, but if in time i need "someone" then I know where to go.

As for the bakery in Squirrrell hill, its on murray ave acrosss from a reataurant called Galiftys. Never been in it though. Sunny Bridge is in McMurray, small store.

Nice to see some locals, I am in downtown pittsburgh, grew up in south hills..home sweet home, love the south hills.

Hope you find what you need. If i can only figure out the private msg and email thing on here i would be able to keep in touch with all of you, but it doesnt work for me, dont know why.

JBaby

mamaw Community Regular

Hi everyone!

Estelita, I'm from Butler! There are a few gastro practices . Allegheny Hospital , Three Rivers Endo (Moon TWp & Cranberry) So. Hills Dr. Limauro/ Gloriosio,/ Colatrella.

A doc in Steubenville, Ohio has also been dx-ing celiac Not sure of the spelling but I think it is Dr.Vodvarka. Children's Hosp has a couple of doc who hav eeen stepping up to dx celiac.

Hi Fiddle-Faddle

Just a reminder that there is a gluten-free support group that meets monthly in Butler.On July 11th we are planning on lunch at Uno's, they have a nice gluten-free menu... If anyone is interested in joining us please let me know & I'll add you to the sign-up sheet...

We have an mini -co-op at our meetings. It saves a lot on shipping by bulk buying.We sample new items so we taste before we buy.... great group of gluten-free people of all ages.Butler is the only active group in this area.....if you are looking for a knowledgeable group that has fun, learns the latest info & has access to the best in gluten-free available , give me a message.

blessings

mamaw

estelita Rookie

Thanks Mamaw! I went to Knoch High School! Where in Butler are you... I tried to PM but it must be set up that you have a certain number of posts before you can PM someone?

mamaw Community Regular

Hi

I'm south of Butler ( BC3. ) area. About 8 miles from Knoch ......You are fairly close to Better Batter FLour In Bellwood...

I have or know a few gluten-free people out your way.

If you hit on the person's name it comes up send message , view profile & so on write your message & hit send & it should come to me....or anyone you are writing to.

I'm going to hit your name & send you a Hello to see if you get it & you then can reply back to me... Let me know if it works

mamaw

Archived