This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Shampoo Conditioner Hand Cream Etc......

JustJust

JustJust Apprentice

Hi,

Does anyone know of any shampoo conditioners hand lotions and cosmetics that are gluten-free. I am desperately trying to replace all of mine but have no clue as to what is gluten-free and what isn't! I call Panteine and they said they couldn't guarantee that the fragrance in their shampoo didn't derive from WBOR. I also called Dove and they said that they would list WBOR and am not sure if I can trust that?!?!?!?!?! PLEASE ANY SPECIFIC BRANDS WOULD BE APPRECIATED! Thanks, Justine :huh:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lorka150 Collaborator

Everything by Dove is gluten-free, except for one with oats (I think it's a body wash or cream). It is a Unilever brand, and will label gluten. They label the derivatives of the ingredients in brackets. I am gluten and casein free, and I use all Dove, except my hand cream, which is Vaseline.

ebrbetty Rising Star

I've been using Mineral Basics makeup for a few years, its great stuff and gluten free. the owner is great, if you email her with a question she gets right back to you.

Open Original Shared Link

jerseyangel Proficient

Right now, I'm using Dove shampoo and conditioner--they are great about listing any gluten in plain English.

Garnier is also good--their telephone reps are very helpful. I've used their shampoo, conditioner, Smoothing Milk and other styling products.

jerseyangel Proficient
I've been using Mineral Basics makeup for a few years, its great stuff and gluten free. the owner is great, if you email her with a question she gets right back to you.

Open Original Shared Link

Betty,

Thank you for this! I loved Bare Escentuals (well, the idea of it :P ), but it began to make my face itchy and to break out. I later learned that it was the bismuth that was most likely causing the problems.

I think I'm going to try it! I'll let you know :)

ebrbetty Rising Star

hi patti, I used to use BE too, I thought it was a little high priced, the mineral basics are just as good, but much better priced

I think I started out with a try me kit, it was under 20 dollars I think and lasted a long time.

Yellow Rose Explorer
Hi,

Does anyone know of any shampoo conditioners hand lotions and cosmetics that are gluten-free. I am desperately trying to replace all of mine but have no clue as to what is gluten-free and what isn't! I call Panteine and they said they couldn't guarantee that the fragrance in their shampoo didn't derive from WBOR. I also called Dove and they said that they would list WBOR and am not sure if I can trust that?!?!?!?!?! PLEASE ANY SPECIFIC BRANDS WOULD BE APPRECIATED! Thanks, Justine :huh:

When I called Panteine several months ago they told me all their products were gluten free. Did they change their ingrediants does anybody know? I love my Panteine.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I, as a rule, ONLY use Pantene products. I have never known them to have gluten in them. I have used Pantene for the entire 7 yrs I have been gluten free.

Mango04 Enthusiast
When I called Panteine several months ago they told me all their products were gluten free. Did they change their ingrediants does anybody know? I love my Panteine.

I believe that in any one product, the source of the "fragrance" can change at any given time, and does change often. That's why nothing can be absolutely gauranteed. Even the company itself doesn't always know where the fragrance might have come from (or so I've been told). They generally just go with the cheapest option.

For anyone interested in more "all natural" type products (which I like, because it takes the mystery factor out of the ingredients), Giovanni 50/50 Balanced shampoo and conditioners are really good. I recently bought a couple bottles on sale for about $6 each, which isn't bad for something with higher quality ingredients

:D

kbtoyssni Contributor

I use Thermasilk shampoo, I know Suave is ok, too. Most Fructis stuff is fine. I use CoverGirl tinted moisturizer, eyeshadow, lipstick. Some Boots No.7, but a few of those lipsticks do have gluten. Vaseline Intensive Care body lotion - I use the SPF15 stuff (it's new and sunscreen in a body lotion is genius!) but watch out for this brand because some kinds do have gluten. Chapstick is fine, bonne bell I think is mostly ok. In general I just read the ingredients and if they look fine I use it.

jerseyangel Proficient
I use Thermasilk shampoo

I loved Thermasilk! I went to buy it recently, and couldn't find it anywhere. I checked, and it's been discontinued :angry:

JustJust Apprentice

I just called panteine today because that is the brand of shampoo i used for years and they told me they couldn't guarentee the fragrance was gluten-free because it comes from suppliers who don't tell what is in it?!?!?!?! Just a little FYI

JustJust Apprentice
I use Thermasilk shampoo, I know Suave is ok, too. Most Fructis stuff is fine. I use CoverGirl tinted moisturizer, eyeshadow, lipstick. Some Boots No.7, but a few of those lipsticks do have gluten. Vaseline Intensive Care body lotion - I use the SPF15 stuff (it's new and sunscreen in a body lotion is genius!) but watch out for this brand because some kinds do have gluten. Chapstick is fine, bonne bell I think is mostly ok. In general I just read the ingredients and if they look fine I use it.

I was told that the hydrolyzed vegatable oil that they put in most chapsticks like bonnie bell no chapstick it self have gluten in it. Take that with a grain of salt because I can't verify how reliable the source was. Someone posted that on their gluten-free web site!

jerseyangel Proficient

One ingredient that I personally look out for is tocopherol (Vitamin E). It can be made with wheat. It can also be from soy, but a lot of times, when I question the companies, they don't know the source.

gffamily Rookie

I have not dealt with toiletries at all yet, except my daughters toothpaste which seemed OK. Are the ingredients you look for some of the same names you watch for in food??? Is your risk of getting glutened the same from topicals as it is from food? Is the necessity of cutting these products out still debated, or is it the consensus? Has anyone been glutened from their products?

A year after the diagnosis, I find that I continue to have so many questions!

I'm so glad you're all here!

barbara123 Apprentice
I have not dealt with toiletries at all yet, except my daughters toothpaste which seemed OK. Are the ingredients you look for some of the same names you watch for in food??? Is your risk of getting glutened the same from topicals as it is from food? Is the necessity of cutting these products out still debated, or is it the consensus? Has anyone been glutened from their products?

A year after the diagnosis, I find that I continue to have so many questions!

I'm so glad you're all here!

I have been glutened from my shampoos and cream rinse. But I believe it is because i have DH <_<

Yellow Rose Explorer
I was told that the hydrolyzed vegatable oil that they put in most chapsticks like bonnie bell no chapstick it self have gluten in it. Take that with a grain of salt because I can't verify how reliable the source was. Someone posted that on their gluten-free web site!

Wal-Mart sells a brand called Kiss My Face lip balm and all the organic flavors are gluten free.

On the toothpaste issue Colgate told me today that they don't intentionaly put gluten products in their pastes but cannot guarantee that they don't come into contact with products that contain gluten. All Crest products are gluten free according to their website.

Hope it helps.

Yellow Rose

hathor Contributor

Well, there is some debate. But it mostly seems to be between medical experts that don't have gluten problems themselves and those of us who live with such problems. I've certainly seen any number of people mention getting better once gluten-laden personal care items are eliminated. There is another thread where people are discussing being glutened at hair salons.

(There seems to be the same dichotomy when it comes to potential glutening from cutting boards, licking envelopes, etc.)

I am more prone to believe what is said by people who live with this every day, rather than "experts" who offer opinions that aren't backed up by any studies that I've seen. OK, it might be nice to have a double blind experiment where folks intolerant to gluten get a gluteny shampoo or not, or whatever, but I can't see it happening anytime soon.

I just discovered a couple days ago that my hair styling products have wheat in them. (I checked what I was currently using and I check anything new. I found this stuff in the back of a cabinet & thought I would try it again since my hair style had changed. Didn't think to read the ingredients until I saw that other thread.) Thinking through it, I definitely would have ingested at least a bit of the stuff. If you can't wash it off of colanders, cutting boards and the like with ease, what makes people think you can reliably wash gluten out of all the creases around your fingernails? And I shudder to think of all the time I fixed my hair with wet fingers, etc., and all the times my fingers go into my mouth or touch something that goes into my mouth. I wasn't carefully scrubbing my hands constantly throughout the day.

Arguments about how the gluten molecule doesn't absorb into skin ignores the fact that you touch parts of your body all the time and your fingers go into your mouth. It seems foolhardy to use products with gluten in them when you just as easily use products that don't. Why take the risk?

I am curious to see if my nagging remaining symptoms now clear up.

I haven't figured out what I'm going to use yet. I will probably go with someone who labels their products gluten-free or tells you on the web site that they are.

If anyone can suggest a nice hair gel or mousse, I would appreciate it.

Archived