This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Know This Has Been Asked A Million Times, But...

holiday16

holiday16 Enthusiast

how long does it really seem to take to get over when you've accidentally had gluten? I had some on accident about a week ago. It was Wyler's bouillon and from the label I think it was because it's produced on the same machines that wheat products are. At first the reaction didn't seem too bad and I cycled through the neuro. symptoms very quickly so I thought it wouldn't be so bad.

It's been about 10 days and I'm still not feeling right. It's not super bad just low energy and I don't feel like doing anything. Right before this I had not had any "accidents" and was finally feeling better than I had in years so this makes it particularly difficult. I guess I know the answer, but it would help to know other people have reactions that last this long too. Sometimes I feel like I'm nuts for thinking feeling like this is from something that happened 10 days ago!

I can tell that mentally I'm just not back to normal yet. My reactions are slower than what they should be and my head just feels weird still. I guess one plus would be that this is the first time I've accidentally had gluten where I've been able to trace it back and know for sure. The symptoms match up with all the other times I thought I may have had gluten so I guess at least now I know all those other times I was right...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guhlia Rising Star

Everyone is different. Some, like me, it only takes a few hours or a few days to recover. Others it can take up to about a month to recover fully. I think some it may take even longer. Hopefully your reaction is almost over.

jerseyangel Proficient

Everyone's reactions are different. It's not at all unusual for it to last 10 days. Mine take 2-3 weeks to feel completely normal again.

aikiducky Apprentice

Mine take two to three weeks as well. The worst and most obvious symptoms are over in a few days, but after that it takes the three weeks or so before I'm my usual perky self.

Pauliina

Aligray Apprentice

Well, im on day 5 of an accidental glutening...still havent figured out the source....

Im glad (well, not really ;) ) to read that glutenings can last over 3 days. Usually i am better by now. I thought that was the magic number. This time is just really bad.

I hope u feel better soon!

Yellow Rose Explorer

In the beginning my time was 2 days as time goes on the reactions are getting stronger and longer up to a week and a half. Hang in there.

Yellow Rose

holiday16 Enthusiast

Thank you so much to everyone that replied. I seem to finally be over it thank goodness. It looks like this one lasted 2 weeks. Now I have to catch up on cleaning the house, laundry, bills etc. Seems like when this happens I just go into "survival mode". Hmmm, and people wonder why we're so careful when it comes to gluten...

Sometimes it just helps to hear I'm not the only one that takes so long to recover. I just have no energy during it and feel so "lazy" that it gets frustrating!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived