Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mobryan

I Need Some Advice About How To Handle Preschool For My 3yr Old Celiac Daughter

My little girl just turned 3 on Thursday last week and she will have her first day of Pre-school tomorrow. She was diagnosed with Celiac Disease when she was 17 months old so we have had the last year and a half to learn what is safe and what just plain 'ol tastes good and now most everyone who knows us (family and friends, the nursery at church) knows what to let her have and what not to but now I'm dealing with......PRESCHOOL!!!! I have talked to her teacher and they have been very willing to help but I'm wondering if anyone out there has any advice or ideas how to handle this new chapter of Celiac in our lives. How did you handle snack time and birthday parties and what info did you use to inform teachers and staff? Did you just come up with your own stuff or is there any info out there already just to give to teachers.

If anyone has any info or advice I would GREATLY appreciate it!!!

My little girl just turned 3 on Thursday last week and she will have her first day of Pre-school tomorrow. She was diagnosed with Celiac Disease when she was 17 months old so we have had the last year and a half to learn what is safe and what just plain 'ol tastes good and now most everyone who knows us (family and friends, the nursery at church) knows what to let her have and what not to but now I'm dealing with......PRESCHOOL!!!! I have talked to her teacher and they have been very willing to help but I'm wondering if anyone out there has any advice or ideas how to handle this new chapter of Celiac in our lives. How did you handle snack time and birthday parties and what info did you use to inform teachers and staff? Did you just come up with your own stuff or is there any info out there already just to give to teachers.

If anyone has any info or advice I would GREATLY appreciate it!!!

There is a lot of information- I just printed a page to give teachers on www.csaceliacs.org/schoolmaterial

Purchase gluten free playdough for the whole class at www.discountschoolsupply.com

Scroll through the message board a little more and there are a lot of other ideas on how to prepare for school-

It isn't that hard if you have very knowledgable teachers that require a lot of handwashing, with gluten-free soap. My DD is starting kinder this year and has been diagnosed for a year. She did great in preschool- she had her own snack sack in the classroom and I trained her to wash her hands before everything. Birthday parties are hard BUT freeze gluten-free cupcakes ask if they can be kept at school, then she is covered. There is also a great children's book called Eating gluten-free with Emily. It is fabulous and I am going to read it to my daughters class this year.

Hope that gives you a start!

Theresa