Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mally-bug

Arby's Chicken Salad W/o Bread Or Wrap

Does anyone know if the Arby's chicken salad sandwich or wrap served without the bread or tortilla, of course, is gluten free? I checked their website and they say it is not gluten free, but I just ate it and right now I'm ok. What in the world could be the gluten ingredient? I get it served on lettuce in a bowl. anyone had one before? tasty with the grapes and nuts.

Chicken sometimes is plumped up with broth and then has modified food starch or wheat added to keep the broth from seeping out. Alas, I've found it is safer to order a burger patty at fast food places than it is chicken in any form. Not that Arby's has burger patties. I've checked their menu and see nothing safe for us to eat except perhaps for the potato cakes. Not even sure about those. We have additional food allergies though, so gluten isn't the only worry.

Chicken sometimes is plumped up with broth and then has modified food starch or wheat added to keep the broth from seeping out. Alas, I've found it is safer to order a burger patty at fast food places than it is chicken in any form. Not that Arby's has burger patties. I've checked their menu and see nothing safe for us to eat except perhaps for the potato cakes. Not even sure about those. We have additional food allergies though, so gluten isn't the only worry.

don't quote me on this, but i believe the potato cakes are not safe (no dedicated fryer). however, i'm thinking that the roast beef is alright, and maybe even some of their salads and of course, the baked potatoes. oh, and the best part is that the jamocha shakes are safe for us! mmmmm

They have a gluten free "menu" out, the roast beef is on it, as are the milkshakes and you'd have to check with each particular Arby's to see if they have a dedicated fryer, I know that their curly fries aren't gluten-free which is sad because they're delicious but I frequently have their roastbeef on my own bread and have no symptoms or signs that it is unsafe. However, as you always have to mention when posting, just because I don't get sick doesn't mean someone else won't...cross contamination is always an issue in places like that of course.

What in the world could be the gluten ingredient?

There could be many sources.

Chicken: the broth, or could be marinated with soy sauce that has wheat in it

As mentioned above, bread crumbs.

I would take the approach of assuming that it does have gluten, and then being pleasantly surprised if it is safe. Assuming that things are gluten free and then eating it is very risky.