Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chelseas_mom07

Celiac And Food Cravings

I'm a 60 year old who was diagnosed with gluton intolerance in my 20s. I have been on and off my gluton-free diet more times than I can count. My problem these days is a relentless craving for carbs no matter what or how I eat. How do others deal with cravings and Celiac? :huh:

Guest j_mommy

I still have cravings(and sure I always will). I did with them b/c I know that I feel better and am nolonger damaging my body by eating gluten!

If I am really craving carbs...I make spegetti and garlic cheese bread!

I'm a 60 year old who was diagnosed with gluton intolerance in my 20s. I have been on and off my gluton-free diet more times than I can count. My problem these days is a relentless craving for carbs no matter what or how I eat. How do others deal with cravings and Celiac? :huh:

I'm also 60, but was misdiagnosed until age 56. When I was first diagnosed I focussed on substituting gluten free versions of all the foods I formerly loved. Later I was diagnosed with dairy, soy, egg and cane sugar allergies. With each new allergy I had to find new substitutions. If I just gave up eating a formerly favorite food, like ice cream, I craved it even more. So I've really worked to satisfy my cravings with 'safe' versions of whatever I crave.

As for carbs, I tend to crave more carbs, especially sweets, if I either (1) don't have my favorite desserts or carbs often enough or (2) let myself get too hungry between meals and my blood sugar plummets or (3) I don't eat balanced meals (carbs, protein and fats) which can also make my blood sugar plummet. I usually crave textures and tastes, not just specific foods. Those cravings can be satisfied by safe versions of foods. Also I won't restrict foods to which I don't have allergic reactions. With gluten intolerance and 4 additional food allergies, I have enough limitations, without following every nutritional fad that comes along and restricting myself even more.

BURDEE