Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lonewolf

The Best Gluten Free Meal Ever!

My husband and I had our anniversary last night and my kids (girls 15 and 14, boys 12 and 10) made an absolutely delicious, special dinner for us. (The girls did most of the cooking.) Candlelight, lace tablecloth, flowers, decorations and wedding photos set the stage. They sealed off the kitchen and dining room all day so I couldn't see what they were up to. Here's what they served:

Bread basket with freshly baked "Pamela's Amazing Wheat Free Bread Mix"

Choice of lemonade or iced tea.

Salad with choice of dressing

Main course:Chicken Sausage Pasta With Basil and Wine (they used white grape juice since they couldn't buy wine at the store)

Dessert:Homemade Carrot Cake (Same recipe that my mom used for our wedding 20 years ago!)

Here's the recipe for the pasta. It came from recipezaar.com

Chicken Sausage Pasta With Basil and Wine

3-5 chicken sausages-spinach asiago if you find it (my kids used sausage from Trader Joe's with pinenuts in them - yum!)

1 lb pasta (any shape)

2 Tbs olive oil

1 Tbs minced garlic

1 small onion, chopped

1 C white wine (or white grape juice, but use a bit less)

1/2 C fresh, chopped basil

20 cherry tomatoes, cut in half

1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (they left this out)

salt and pepper

4 Tbs butter

3/4 C salted pasta water (snitch it from water used to cook pasta)

1 C fresh mozzarella, cut into bite-sized pieces (they left this out)

parmesan cheese

1. Start to cook pasta according to package directions.

2. In a non-stick sauce pan, start to heat the olive oil. Remove the sausage casing and then cut sausage into quarters lengthwise, and then into inch long pieces.

3. Add onion, garlic and sausage to the hot pan and cook thoroughly. Add wine and cook a few minutes longer, adding the cayenne, salt, pepper and butter. Stir until butter has melted. Add enough pasta water so that you have enough sauce to coat all the pasta (about 3/4-1 C).

4. Drain pasta when cooked al dente. Toss pasta with the sauce, adding the basil, tomatoes and mozzarella. Serve with parmesan cheese.