Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BySharon

Celiac And Iron Shots

Hi there, I have been diagnosed with celiac 4 weeks ago, I have been gluten free and feel pretty good, but blood tests now show I am extremely anemic and the doctor advises Iron Shots. That doesn't sound so good to me, Does anyone have any experiences with iron shots, and what should I expect. Are they expensive? Do they hurt? Most importantly what are the SIDE EFFECTS? Funny thing is I don't feel tired, I used to be like a zombie, barely funtioning, but since gluten free, feel very good..... I appreciate any replies concerning iron shots.......Thanks BySharon :unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi, and welcome to this forum. I used to be severely anemic a few years ago (before I knew about celiac disease), and got iron shots twice a week for over a year. I don't really know how expensive they are, as insurance paid for them. They don't hurt much, but if you keep getting them over an extended period of time, your butt will hurt (that's where they go). But it isn't too bad.

There are absolutely no side effects, other than feeling more energetic! Getting iron shots is the best way to boost your iron right now, because iron pills will make you ill and won't be absorbed until your villi heal. I got the shots because the iron pills would cause severe stomach cramps, and didn't work. You would likely have the same problem right now.

So, don't be afraid to get those shots, they are necessary right now.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------