This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

My Daughter Had Her Endoscopy Today

Elaine40

Elaine40 Rookie

Did your doctor know that day? My daughter's doctor said he didn't see any signs of celiac, but it could still show up on the biopsy. Her blood was negative. We have a strong family history of gluten intolerance with positive dietary response. She has an unexplained iron deficiency anemia, low vitamin D level and some hidden blood in her stool. It would be so helpful if we could just figure this whole thing out.

Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest j_mommy

No most of the time they can't tell right away...I think that is the standard line they give you when you come out of it...."everything looks fine/great/ok".

Mine told me that and I had severe blunting..to the naked eye they can't see much! It took 1 week for me to get the results from the lab back!

good Luck!

Elaine40 Rookie

Thanks, I guess we just have to wait it out.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I agree that they can't usually tell by the naked eye. The damage is visible on biopsy though IF they have biopsied the correct spot and the lab knows what they are doing. With a strong family history of gluten problems it would be a good idea to try the diet for a bit strictly and see if her problems resolve. Dietary response is always the truest test and the gluten-free diet will not mask other problems. If you intend to give her a trial on the diet you don't need to wait on the biopsy results. I hope she feels better soon.

Guest lorlyn

My 10 year old daughter doctor told us every thing looked good after the biopsy. A few days later the school called and said she was sick again. When the doctor called after the lab results were in, it showed that the hairs in her intestines had started turning red and he said that was a sign of the beggining of the damage from having Celiac :( She has not had any major problems since going gluten free :) Good luck

Guest j_mommy

Also wanted to add....I went gluten-free right after my biopsy. I did not wait fo rthe results as my blood tests were positive but I wanted teh biopsy to see how much damage was done. I had a "last meal" right after my biopsy(olive garden-fettucini) and then went gluten-free and have been since!

Archived