Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2BOYSMOM

Weight Gain?

Hi,

I know that weight gain is a symptom that is rarely mentioned and that severe weight loss is the much more common symptom, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced the weight gain? Thanks so much for your imput.

Hi,

I now that weight gain is a symptom that is rarely mentioned and that severe weight loss is the much more common symptom, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced the weight gain? Thanks so much for your imput.

Its not even uncommon... the mechanism works something like...

Your body is not adsorbing nutrients

Your body only really knows it need nutrients so you feel hungry... that's how the body tells you..

However when you eat you only digest the easiest part and you still miss nutrients and hence still hungry

Equally because of this you can end up relying on snack foods and empty calories and same thing... your body still misses nutrients so you still feel hungry.

Guest j_mommy

Weight gain is very common after you go gluten-free!!!

Your body is then absorbing everything!!!!(Your body doesn't absorb nutrients ect when still eating gluten, if you have celiac, but once you rectify that it does)

So for those of us(ME :D ) who carry a "few" extra pounds to begin with, have to be careful after you go gluten-free so we don't gain more!!!!

Good Luck!

I had the problem of weight gain before changing to gluten free. Going gluten free I noticed more or less immediately that I was not as hungry anymore. So that is probably because of gfp's theory, I was not getting enough nutrients. But the doctor thinks I was not as hungry because I was not eating as many carbs anymore.

Still I had managed to loose a bit of weight prior to going gluten free going from obese to overweight, yay, and it was quite easy the first few months, but after the initial loss, it was impossible to loose, but I did not gain, as I was fighting an insatiable hunger.

Now being gluten free I still have to be careful, but not being as hungry does helps. I am still roughly the same weight now (18 months later) as what I was before I went gluten free. So I should be happy, but would still like to loose about 30 more lbs.

Cathy