Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JolieLuLu

Increased Gi Symptoms After Going Gluten-free

Hello everyone,

I have been reading the message board for several months and finally I am making my first post.

I have been gluten free for about a month and NOW I have terrible gas, increased looses BMs and intestinal spasms! (I know details)...

Prior to going gluten free--I was constipated and had no other GI symptoms.

Anyone else have this experience?

Thanks,

jolie

Hi, Joilie, Welcome!!!

My response wasn't as dramatic, but definite changes started at Day 10. I had struggled with the big C too. It is like my body is making major adjustments. I also had a period where I was bloated and very uncomfortable for days, the first month. The twinges started about 1 week, but haven't really been having severe spasms.

I haven't had much loose stool yet, in fact, have been taking huge doses of Vitamin C and magnesium just to be able to go a little bit every day--and that occasionally does bring on a loose stool. However, what is significant is that I have started to be able to cut back on that amount. I can't quite find the right amount---which may be partly due to the ups and downs of the healing process. Remember it takes 1-2 years for our intestines to heal.

Also remember many celiacs alternate between C and D, so you have perhaps shifted from C, to C + D, as a stage of your healing.

I think that the shift is really significant, and that maybe you should just hang in there. If you are too miserable with it you might consider trying milk free, as many of us don't tolerate milk well, especially in the first few months. (The casein protein is similar to gluten, and the enzyme to digest lactose in milk is made in the tips of the villi. With our messed up villi--we don't make the enzyme until we heal).

Personally, going soy free last month as well has seemed to help me a lot. (Actually almost totally have avoided legumes as well).

Hope this helps!

I agree with what mftnchn said.

I always was a C sort myself. But at about week 3 I had this incredible D experience. (Didn't know I had that capacity :lol: ) For maybe the next month, my system was up and down. Then things slowly became more normal.

Given my experience, I've been noticing all the people who have a similar experience. It doesn't seem to be too uncommon. It is as if one's body has to adjust to being gluten-free and is trying to learn how to work. Or perhaps there is gluten adhering to the gut and the body finally is trying to purge itself of the nasty stuff? Whatever is involved, it happens and then it gets better.

Again, cut out dairy and see if that helps. Hang in there and realize it does get better.