This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Tomorrow Is The Big Day!

newbieva

newbieva Rookie

I am off to have my endoscopy/colonoscopy tomorrow. I took the pills for my prep today and needless to say, I think that I am ready for the procedure! Aside from a little nausea from drinking so much water, I think that it went well. Ironically, if I didn't know any better, I would have thought I was glutened! LOL. Anyway, right now, I am just a bit of nervous energy ready to get it overwith. I hope we learn something tomorrow. I think my biggest "fear" is walking away still not what is going on. I know that this may happen though.....I told my husband, I was going to feel silly if it turned out that everything looks fine, etc...My bloodwork all came back normal, but the doctor agreed that it did sound like Celiac....who knows.

My procedure isn't until that afternoon (yuck). I am trying to stay up late tonight so I can sleep in tomorrow! Wish me luck.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JennyC Enthusiast

Good Luck. I hope everything goes well. Make sure they take lots of samples! :)

cyberprof Enthusiast

Good luck! Here's to an easy procedure and some nice (gluten-free) treats when you wake up!

• 2 weeks later...
Bree Newbie

Hi Newbieva!

I have been checking back onto this post for days now to see how you made out. You have been missing in action and I am just praying you made it through the procedure okay! I am having my endoscopy and colonscopy this Friday, so wanted to keep checking back in and see how you made out, and how the procedure went.

Hope you are okay and made it through okay and that you will have received some answers. Let us know!

newbieva Rookie

Thanks so much for keeping up on the post!!!!

I made it through "ok". I woke up in the am with my friendly monthly reminder that didn't help too much though! The procedure itself was a piece of cake. I had a great crew and no real problems. In terms of "findings', they did find some irritation throughout my stomach that caused them to take some extra biopsy samples. They also found some irritation in my ascending colon which resulted in some extra biopsy samples too. That being said, I found my stomach was very icky that night and I suspect it was from the samples. I had gone in wanting a steak when we we left; however, I opted for Cracker Barrel's dumpings because they where soft and mushy! I took three bites and that was it. It took a good two days before my appetite came back. I really attribute that to my tummy though.

In terms of findings...I was told that it would take 7-10 days for the results to come back. I called today, but played phone tag with the nurse pract. So perhaps tomorrow I will know. She suspects that the stomach issues may be H.Pylori in my stomach and thinks the ascending colon irritation could have been because of the prep. She said there where no obvious signs of celiac, but the biopsy will tell us more. The irritation in the stomach started at the antrum and extended into the body of the stomach. I have read that this is common with celiac so who knows....My grandmother died from stomach cancer back in 91. Needless to say, this has been in the back of my mind...In the mean time, I have to go lactose free to see if that is part of what is going on!!

I hope this helps some!!!! Please let me know how you do!!!

Hi Newbieva!

I have been checking back onto this post for days now to see how you made out. You have been missing in action and I am just praying you made it through the procedure okay! I am having my endoscopy and colonscopy this Friday, so wanted to keep checking back in and see how you made out, and how the procedure went.

Hope you are okay and made it through okay and that you will have received some answers. Let us know!

newbieva Rookie

To clarify, the "she says" is my doctor. The nurse pract that I need to talk to is someone in the office!

Thanks so much for keeping up on the post!!!!

I made it through "ok". I woke up in the am with my friendly monthly reminder that didn't help too much though! The procedure itself was a piece of cake. I had a great crew and no real problems. In terms of "findings', they did find some irritation throughout my stomach that caused them to take some extra biopsy samples. They also found some irritation in my ascending colon which resulted in some extra biopsy samples too. That being said, I found my stomach was very icky that night and I suspect it was from the samples. I had gone in wanting a steak when we we left; however, I opted for Cracker Barrel's dumpings because they where soft and mushy! I took three bites and that was it. It took a good two days before my appetite came back. I really attribute that to my tummy though.

In terms of findings...I was told that it would take 7-10 days for the results to come back. I called today, but played phone tag with the nurse pract. So perhaps tomorrow I will know. She suspects that the stomach issues may be H.Pylori in my stomach and thinks the ascending colon irritation could have been because of the prep. She said there where no obvious signs of celiac, but the biopsy will tell us more. The irritation in the stomach started at the antrum and extended into the body of the stomach. I have read that this is common with celiac so who knows....My grandmother died from stomach cancer back in 91. Needless to say, this has been in the back of my mind...In the mean time, I have to go lactose free to see if that is part of what is going on!!

I hope this helps some!!!! Please let me know how you do!!!

newbieva Rookie

Thanks!!!!!

[

quote name='cyberprof' date='Aug 27 2007, 12:13 AM' post='338848']

Good luck! Here's to an easy procedure and some nice (gluten-free) treats when you wake up!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Bree Newbie

There you are!! Glad to hear you made it through the procedure okay! One of my biggest fears is I will also come out with an "icky" tummy and lose even more weight. I can not afford to lose one more pound, but who knows, I have had surgery before with a general and come out of it wanting a cheeseburger! Could be all the samples they took, I am sure of it.

Please post when you get your results back, I will be watching out for you again! Also glad to hear you are being so pro-active. Having your Grandma with stomach cancer is not something to take lightly, so good for you for taking care of yourself!

Good luck with the results, and let us know!

newbieva Rookie

I hope your procedure went well today!! Did you get your cheeseburger?? I hope it was good!

The results came back negative for celiac; however, they did find chronic focal inflammation in my stomach and chronic inflammation in the antrum. I was negative for HPylori. The reading that I have seen says that in absense of HPylori, focal inflammation in the stomach is attributal to gastrodueodenal crohns (very rare). The reading that I have also seen states that chronic inflammation in the stomach over time leads to stomach cancer. Two strikes against me. I have a follow up appointment with the doctor on the 27th. Currently, I am going dairy free to see if it helps. She wanted me to try it for two weeks. So far, I have been doing it for 2 days and it isn't helping...however, it is early yet!

Look forward to hearing from you!

There you are!! Glad to hear you made it through the procedure okay! One of my biggest fears is I will also come out with an "icky" tummy and lose even more weight. I can not afford to lose one more pound, but who knows, I have had surgery before with a general and come out of it wanting a cheeseburger! Could be all the samples they took, I am sure of it.

Please post when you get your results back, I will be watching out for you again! Also glad to hear you are being so pro-active. Having your Grandma with stomach cancer is not something to take lightly, so good for you for taking care of yourself!

Good luck with the results, and let us know!

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I hope your procedure went well today!! Did you get your cheeseburger?? I hope it was good!

The results came back negative for celiac; however, they did find chronic focal inflammation in my stomach and chronic inflammation in the antrum. I was negative for HPylori. The reading that I have seen says that in absense of HPylori, focal inflammation in the stomach is attributal to gastrodueodenal crohns (very rare). The reading that I have also seen states that chronic inflammation in the stomach over time leads to stomach cancer. Two strikes against me. I have a follow up appointment with the doctor on the 27th. Currently, I am going dairy free to see if it helps. She wanted me to try it for two weeks. So far, I have been doing it for 2 days and it isn't helping...however, it is early yet!

Look forward to hearing from you!

I just noticed this and wanted to let you know about something. These finding can also be indicative of celiac damage. I recently had a endo done 5 years after diagnosis with celiac. It is still showing the residual damage in these areas through metaplasic changes. I hope that you will give the gluten free diet a good try, especially if the dairy free doesn't help. Many of us are missed because either we do not show up in blood work and endo is never done or an endo is done and the damage is not yet complete enough to say conclusively that it is celiac or the damage is in an area that was not biopsied. There are many stages and manifestations of celiac related damage, many are not recognized as such, yet.

Bree Newbie

Hi Newbieva and everyone else!

Nope, I asked for a cheeseburger and fries, and got a glass of water :o Not even close, but I downed that water, and a second like I had been shipwrecked for weeks. My "prep work" prior to the endoscopy and colonoscopy was hell, I will never do that again, but the procedure was great. I was out before they could even ask me to count down from 10. Came out of it feeling like a million bucks too.

Your results don't sound too bad, but you sound quite down. I am sure the "stomach cancer issue" raises concerns for you, but you are on top of your health, doing what is asked of you, so you will be fine. I was so excited to see you had been on and posted, I admit, I sort of flew through it. I will go back and read again.

So, my GI took 3 biopsies, so like you, will know more in about 4 weeks time, but for now, I have GERD (knew that), major amounts of acid in my stomach, esophagitis, duodenitis, H. Pylori, but no show of Crohn's (my biggest fear) or Colitis. Now this being said, I was a little loopy when I came out of it and she was speaking to me, but from the diagram and her barely legible writing, this is what I am getting. My stomach and esophagas are not at the ulcer stage yet, but are badly inflamed, so I am now on a month's worth of antibiotics and have 3 repeats of it. Little surprised at that one. As for Celiac Disease, I have to wait until the biopsies come back.

Thanks for thinking of me and my cheeseburger (I don't even eat red meat, but after surgery in 2004 I kept asking for a cheeseburger! :o Meds do strange things.

Let us know how you make out going dairyfree. I think I may go gluten free and see how I feel. I dropped down to 86lbs. after all that laxative and not eating prior to the procedure, so I need to gain at least 10 lbs. quickly!

Keep well! I will be looking out for you on here!

Archived