Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Soonerman

Gluten Challenge? And Milk Dairy Too?

I have seen the phrase "gluten challenge" several times and seems to be a way of demonstrating whether you have Celiac Disease or not. Can someone tell me what the challenge is or how to do it and what it demonstrates?

Also most of what I have seen says that milk and yogurt (that is gluten free) and cheese/butter are ok for me to eat, but if it were up to me I would say that I have a negative reaction after milk and yogurt. Nothing really from cheese or butter. I have seen a few posts on here about milk and milk products. Is milk, yogurt, cheese, and/or butter ok for me? How will I know for sure as I just really started the gluten-free diet? I thought milk, yogurt, cheese, and butter were gluten free so why would I have to be weary of them also?

Thanks

I have seen the phrase "gluten challenge" several times and seems to be a way of demonstrating whether you have Celiac Disease or not. Can someone tell me what the challenge is or how to do it and what it demonstrates?

Also most of what I have seen says that milk and yogurt (that is gluten free) and cheese/butter are ok for me to eat, but if it were up to me I would say that I have a negative reaction after milk and yogurt. Nothing really from cheese or butter. I have seen a few posts on here about milk and milk products. Is milk, yogurt, cheese, and/or butter ok for me? How will I know for sure as I just really started the gluten-free diet? I thought milk, yogurt, cheese, and butter were gluten free so why would I have to be weary of them also?

Thanks

A gluten challenge would be to be TOTALLY Gluten free for some time and then add one product at a time to see if you have a reaction.

Certainly milk, butter, cheese and yogurt are gluten free. When you have a diagnosis for celiac or gluten sensitivity it is often recommended to go dairy free for a while. Dairy has the same type of protein as gluten. After healing, dairy can often be reintroduced.

Are you on a gluten free diet?

Yes I am on Gluten-free diet but only for the past couple weeks. I had not given up dairy though as it was supposed to be ok on gluten-free diet. I think I will give it up for awhile too now, but not sure how long I should do that for.

There is quite a learning curve on this disease! Yes milk products are gluten free. Yes many of us have problems with milk.

Several possible reasons: intestinal villi damage means the villi tips are not there to produce enzyme to digest lactose. In this case, you have to wait until healing has occurred. 6mo maybe??

Intolerance to casein, the milk protein. Apparently this protein is pretty similar to gluten, though not gluten.

Also you can have a milk allergy.

Soy can also be a problem, it can also cause villi damage, but does not contain gluten.

This is a trial and error thing, but I think you should try to go without milk and see if you feel better.

• Celiac.com Sponsor:

• Top Posters +

1. 1
    2. 2
      RMJ
      RMJ
    3. 3
    4. 4
    5. 5
    6. YOU