Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dawnsister

Going To The Ball! How To Not Get Sick By Midnight?

I'm going to a Ball in Philly at the end of Sept. There is a reception on friday and dinner before the Ball on saturday. This is my first experience traveling with a semi-diagnosed sensitivity. What would a nice way to approach the group that is planning the weekend and let them know that I have some dietary issues? And how do I ask for either something safe to eat or be able to talk to the chef?

Thanks for any help!

Hello,

What I would do is call wherever the catering services number for the venue (ie the Belevue), and explain that you have a gluten intolerance and if they would be able to accommodate you. They should be able to with no problem. Then, the week before the event, let the group planning the event know that you have dietary issues and have already spoken to catering, but were wondering if they could confirm with the chef, at some point, that there would be food available. A doctor did this at one of the events I was running and it worked great!

Here is a recent thread on eating at wedding receptions, which will be similar to your event. Maybe this will give you some ideas.

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?s...=36151&st=0

Thanks. I did email the guy who is in charge of the whole weekend and told him about my allergies. I did tell him I could call and talk to the kitchen staff if he wants me to. I didn't feel right doing it without permission first. There were several helpful tips - I will take food with me for sure! Maybe not tuna since I'll be all gussied up in a ballgown. LOL Don't want to scare off the men. :0)