Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Leonidas

Celiac In The Military?

I've been in the Marine Corps for 4 years now, and have already had one tour in Iraq. Though I am a reservist. My family Dr. recently tested and diagnosed me with Celic disease. I was curious if someone can definitively answer that you can no long be in the military or re-enlist if you do have Celiac disease. It's a lot harder to find information then I thought it would be, and I can't use the proper channels without raising to many questions. Any and all help provided would be greatly appreciated, Thank you

I've been in the Marine Corps for 4 years now, and have already had one tour in Iraq. Though I am a reservist. My family Dr. recently tested and diagnosed me with Celic disease. I was curious if someone can definitively answer that you can no long be in the military or re-enlist if you do have Celiac disease. It's a lot harder to find information then I thought it would be, and I can't use the proper channels without raising to many questions. Any and all help provided would be greatly appreciated, Thank you

Unless things have changed recently celiac is not a condition that the military can deal with and it will be a reason for a medical discharge. I would not attempt to hide this diagnosis as that could lead you into real problems down the line if it is discovered that you had been diagnosed and have not told anyone. There is a possibility that they may allow you to serve stateside but I am not positive about that. You should notify your command ASAP. This is not a failure on your part, my son was discharged over 5 years ago due to celiac related health issues and at times he still feels guilty or like he failed somehow. We can not control our genetics and excaberations of symptoms when under great stress or physical illness can have psychological as well as physical manifestations with many celiacs making it very unsafe for both the celiac and the folks around them. Hopefully your command will be able to help you through this, you may also want to contact your commands chaplin and talk to him about this issue.

Guest kivmom3

there was an article in Sully's living without magazine from the spring issue regarding the military. I believe the person was reassigned to something stateside so that he could remain on his diet and healthy. He also told everyone necessary about his condition. Nothing to hide.

If you can access or get a hold of the magazine article, it may give you some ideas.

Sorry, that is all I can think of for you. Hopefully more people will post.

Here is an excerpt from the article: http://www.livingwithout.com/2007/sp07salute.html

I believe I have the full copy. If you'd like, PM me your email address, and I will scan and send it to you in a PDF file.

Here is a similar thread that may be of help.

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?s...amp;hl=military (see Tim-n-VA's post about Army regs....might be similar or direct you in dealing with the Marines)

Best of luck, and thank you for your service!

leonidas : Do Not keep this from your commanding officer! YOU ARE A UNITED STATES MARINE AND SUBUJECT TO THE UCMJ ! You have fulfilled your duty in the greatest duty man will ever know !