Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

debmidge

Dr. Practice With Many Practioners

During my bout with gall bladder disease I went to gastro #1 and as of the day he saw me he went on vacation for over a week. I felt abandoned.

During the week he went away I had my gall bladder out asap as I got very ill.

During that week I decided to go to a new gastro - so I went to this gastro #2 and I didn't care for him & he was sarcastic and I felt he wasn't giving me what I need to know about what to expect now that I was post-operative gall bladder surgery. He ran blood work and wanted to do colonoscopy asap. I also got a bad recommendation from another doctor about this gastro #2 and added to how I felt about him I didn't want to see him any longer.

I decided that I wanted to see a gastro #3 -- someone new -- so I called office of gastro #2 and explained to them that I wanted to switch to another partner. They won't let me. They have an office policy of not allowing patients to switch; they'd rather see a patient go away than accomodate them. Has anyone ever had this experience?

Deb--I say, run the other way! I have had bad experiences with doctors, not the same as you, but bad.

I went to a gynocologist on May 31st and she told me I had many polyps and to return for a sonogram on June 4th. On that day, she told me I had tons and tons of polyps, inside and outside of my uterus, that I needed a D&C. I sat with her and asked why not do a hysterestomy, since I have a prolapsed uterus and I felt it was causing me many problems. She says to me, "Well, the prolaspe can wait, lets do the D&C and work on your other issues and we will worry about the prolapse several months from now!" She told me first that she normally takes care of polyps in the office, but I had to many and she was afraid of a bleed, so she wanted to do this in a hospital setting. She had me totally freaked out. So, I agreed. She set up the D&C for the following Monday. I talked to 2 of my friends who had both had hysterectomies and they both told me to get another opinion and not to do a D&C. They both felt it was an unnecessary procedure to put me through, so I did go into the GYN's office on Friday to cancel the procedure, at which time I got a "talking to" by the PA, to which the PA said to me, "Why are you so upset about a few tiny polyps?" The following Wednesday, the GYN wanted to see me to set up a referral and talk to me about my decision and she says to me, "I don't understand your decision, you only have a few polyps!", this coming from the doc who told me "tons and tons!"

So, I was referred to Dr. Schwartz, who immediately told me I needed a total hysterectomy before further damage occured from the prolapse, he didn't even mention the polyps. I had a vaginal hysterectomy on Aug 1st and there were 4 tiny polyps, all benign. In my opinion, the GYN wanted me to have an unnecessary procedure just to pad her pockets, she doesn't do surgeries otherwise and can only assist. I didn't allow her to assist and I will not return to her.

Doctors do not know all and they are not our boss. We own this body we live in and we have the say as to what does and doesn't happen. If you are uncomfortable with a doctor, then absolutely, find another. Never, ever accept them at their word just because they say you have too. I am learning so much. My PCP told me just before my surgery that I always look so good, always smiling and happy, that I will live to another 47-50 years and I said, "OMG 102 feeling like this!" To which I added, "Just because I feel like crap doesn't mean I have to make you miserable too!" I am giving him another chance to help me figure out what is going on inside this body of mine and if he can't help, then I will be looking for a new PCP too. I need a doctor willing to realize I do not fit the "normal range", that I am one of the patient that is outside of that range, even though my numbers seem ok.

Find someone new sweetie. Good luck and feel better.

Hi Deb

So good to see you posting but sorry for the sad report.

May I please add...........get your records from #2 and RUN FAST.................

MAKE SURE YOU DON'T DISCUSS ANYTHING...BE SO POLITE HONEY DRIPS FROM YOUR MOUTH.

I'D LET THE 3RD DR JUST EXAMINE YOU FOR A ...........FRESH OPINION.

I TOO HAVE HAD MY SHARE OF ----SURGEON SHOPPING----AND I HATE HATE HATE IT :ph34r:

JUST SO you know............this woman GI I like so much who can't figure out what to do for me....

found ...just the man in her practice to help me. it will take till jan to see him but since i'm holding my own for now with the celiac disease...we'll see.

I SO WANT YOU TO GET SOME ANSWERS.

PLEASE KEEP POSTING TO US.

HUGS AND PRAYERS.

JUDY

Hi Debbie,

Yes, I'd definately find another practice. These people obviously are not putting your needs/wants first. I think you'd just find yourself going around in circles.

I had a similar experience as Darlindeb--I was going to a GYN who kept me coming back for ultrasounds, and would only recommend an ablasion for my heavy bleeding and fibroids.

I had the procedure and within a year, I was back to square one, and in the worst pain I've ever experienced. I sought help from another doctor, who immediately (at my request) scheduled a hysterectomy. I could not endure one more month of that pain--seriously.

The pathology report revealed that I not only had fibroids (which were the least of my problems), but a cystic ovary, adenomyosis and stage 4 endometriosis--which, in my case may not have been completely cured by the surgery it was so widespread.

My point is to go with your gut, and if your healthcare team isn't putting you first, then it's time to find one who will. These people don't know everything--you deserve to have the attention of a doctor who will work with you.