Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lorrieb

Symptoms That Seem Unrelated...celiac Disease?

I am a 50 year old female with symptoms that seemed unrelated and now I wonder if they could all be the result of celiac disease.

Unexplained infertility

Bloat dx as excess acid

abdominal pain dx ibs

reflux

dx with MS based on MRI, with symptoms of numb hands, memory problems, speech problems, nerve pain, balance (I should note that I am not the normal MS pt, my internal medicine DR. doesn't think I have MS)

diarrhea

allergies

joint pain

bruise easily

The reflux started this past June after I had cleaned a shed. Dr. started me on prilosec, which did not help, so sent me for a EGD. I was concerned that the mold in the shed had something to do with the symptoms so I went to another Dr. and had allergy test done. While I was highly allergic to mold, I was also allergic to wheat, along with lots of other things. I saw the gastro Dr. yesterday and told him about the allergy test and he ordered blood work for celiac disease.

You certainly could be celiac or at least gluten sensitive. Before going gluten free, have your doctor do all the testing for celiac disease, dont let him stop at blood work--ok?

Feel free to email me at anytime.

You have many of the symptoms of Celiac Disease and it would be worth looking into.

See http://www.celiaccentral.org/What_is_Celiac_/13/ and "what are the symptoms"

If you ask your dr. to run the bloodtests, make sure the full panel is run

Anti-gliadin antibodies (AGA) both IgA and IgG

Anti-endomysial antibodies (EMA) - IgA

Anti-tissue transglutaminase antibodies (tTG) - IgA

Total IgA level.

(from http://www.celiacdiseasecenter.columbia.ed...05-Testing.htm)

Best of luck.