Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

confused

Milk From The Amish

Is this stuff safe for us that are gluten and casein free. My hubby was talking to someone the other day that is lactose intolerant and she says she gets the milk from the amish people cause it isnt pausterized. So i was wondering would this stuff be safe for us, or am I just dreaming lol

paula

In some cases, people who can't tolerate pasteurized milk can tolerate raw milk. Gluten would not be an issue, but you'd have to decide if it's worth trying, in terms of the severity of your casein and/or lactose intolerace.

Thank you for your fast response. So in other words it is something that i should try on a day that i dont have to go anywhere just in case i would react. I am not really missing milk but was just curious if this could be an option for me or my step-son.

Does this milk taste funny due to not being pasteruized.

paula

Thank you for your fast response. So in other words it is something that i should try on a day that i dont have to go anywhere just in case i would react. I am not really missing milk but was just curious if this could be an option for me or my step-son.

Does this milk taste funny due to not being pasteruized.

paula

LOL yeah, and I wouldn't drink an entire glass of it or anything like that if you've been dairy-free for a while. It might be a good idea to start with small amounts of raw cheese.

If you're used to highly processed/pasteurized dairy, it might taste different to you, but I actually know a few people who really like it. I tried raw goat cheese a while back and I did react (but not severely and not right away). Some people have luck with it though.

Raw milk, cheeses and butter are the way to go if you are lactose intolerant. The pasterization process destroys the naturally occuring enzymes in milk that make it easy to digest. Many people who are lactose intolerant can tolerate raw dairy (such as myself). It is also much better for you. Paterization and homogenization destroy any benefits of milk and set our bodies up for allergic and autoimmune reactions. However if you have issues with casein, raw milk will still cause problems. Read up on benefits of raw dairy on line or on Dr.Mercola.com. Make sure the raw dairy you purchase is from grassfed animals not caged animals. The taste in my opinion is better. The butter is rich and cheese like. Yum.

I have read, and believe, that raw milk is much better tolerated, easier for the human body to digest. Pasteurization is important when it comes to mass distribution and sale of milk, it considerably reduces the risks of illness from consuming tainted milk. Unfortunately, pasteurization kills naturally occuring healthy bacteria in the milk as well. This bacteria is what makes milk go sour, but it is still edible (like sour cream.) Once milk has been pasteurized, it no longer will go sour, but goes bad instead.

If you can find a reputable farmer to get fresh, clean raw milk from, then I think it would be worth giving it a try.

Michelle

Can you let us know if your son tries it and how it works out? I don't know much. I just know that it still has casein, and that there's been a trend for alternative doctors that were formerly pro-gluten & casein free, to start recommending this type of milk. My best friend tried it and she got ill, but she has a friend who seems to being doing OK drinking it. Let us know...

Please make sure the milk is very fresh. It is true that pasteurization kills good bacteria, but it also kills bad bacteria as well. Milk is a very desirable home for bacteria. They can flourish in it. Just make sure you know the source and the age of the milk.