This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Wedding Cake Dessert

Glutenfreefamily

Glutenfreefamily Enthusiast

Im not sure why its called this but my mom had this at my aunts party the other day and Im going to make it gluten free this weeked. My mom loved it and so did the other guests. I guess its out of a mystery novel that lists recipes and she emailed it to my me. It seems like a lot of steps but they are basic steps and you do most of it the night before. Later on I will probably try it dairy free with coconut milk and just reducing the amount of it and see how it turns out.

Lisa's Wedding Cookie Cake

8 small packages chocolate pudding mix**

10 cups whole milk, (or half-&-half if you want to splurge)

2 pounds) graham crackers

sweetened whipped cream

Line the inside of a 4-quart bowl with long strips of plastic wrap, leaving enough wrap to fold back over the top when your cake is finished.

Cover the bottom of the bowl with graham crackers, all the way out tot he sides. You can break them in half or quarters if you want, but it's also okay just to over lap them.

Make the first two packages of pudding using 2 1/2 cups of milk (not the 4 cups called for in the directions on the box).

Pour approximately a third of the pudding over the layer of graham crackers in your bowl. Gently spread it out with a rubber spatula. (It doesn't have to be perfectly smooth, just not wildly uneven, that's all.)

Put another layer of graham crackers on top of the pudding in the bowl. (Again, it doesn't have to be perfect—the pudding will soak into the graham crackers and all will be forgiven.)

Put half of the remaining pudding on top of the second layer of graham crackers. Spread it out so it covers them.

Lay down another layer of graham crackers and top it with the remaining pudding. Spread out the pudding and lay down another layer of graham crackers. (Don't bother to wash out the bowl or pan you used to make your pudding. You're just going to make another batch.)

Using another 2 packages of pudding and another 2 1/2 cups of milk, make your second batch of pudding.

There are more graham crackers to cover now, since the bowl is wider. Use half of the pudding to cover the graham crackers. Smooth the pudding with your rubber spatula, lay down another layer of graham crackers, cover it with the remaining pudding, and top it with another layer of graham crackers. (I'll bet you're already guessing what the rest of the cake will be like!)

Make the third batch of pudding using 2 packages of mix and 2 1/2 cups of milk. Put half on top of the graham crackers in your bowl, spread it out, and top it with more graham crackers. Now use the rest of the pudding and top it again with graham crackers.

One more time! Make the final batch of pudding using 2 packages of pudding mix and 2 1/2 cups of milk. Spread half the pudding over the graham crackers, smooth it, and cover it with more graham crackers. Put on the rest of the pudding, smooth it, and this time cover it with a double layer of graham crackers.

fold in the edges of the plastic wrap to cover the contents of your bowl. Find a plate that will fit inside the bowl on top of the cake. Put it in right side up so that it'll push the cake down when it settles. Set a weight on top of the plate. I use a can of fruit.

Refrigerate the cake until time to serve.

When you're ready to serve, remove the weight and the plate, peel back the plastic wrap, and center a serving platter, right side down, over the top of bowl. Invert the bowl, lift it off, and peel off the plastic wrap.

Frost your cake with sweetened whipped cream.

Slice the cake as you would a pie, in wedge-shaped pieces.

**Read the yield on the pudding package—it should be 2 cups per package if you make it according to the package directions. You can use sugar free instant, regular instant, or the kind you hav eto cook. All will work. (You can also use 5 larger packages of pudding, each package yielding 3 cups of pudding—if you do this, use 2 cups of milk or half-&-half for each package—as you can see, this recipe is very flexible.)

This cake must be refrigerated to set up—make it the night BEFORE you plan to serve it

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Happynwgal2
Im not sure why its called this but my mom had this at my aunts party the other day and Im going to make it gluten free this weeked. My mom loved it and so did the other guests. I guess its out of a mystery novel that lists recipes and she emailed it to my me. It seems like a lot of steps but they are basic steps and you do most of it the night before. Later on I will probably try it dairy free with coconut milk and just reducing the amount of it and see how it turns out.

Lisa's Wedding Cookie Cake

8 small packages chocolate pudding mix**

10 cups whole milk, (or half-&-half if you want to splurge)

2 pounds) graham crackers

sweetened whipped cream

Line the inside of a 4-quart bowl with long strips of plastic wrap, leaving enough wrap to fold back over the top when your cake is finished.

Cover the bottom of the bowl with graham crackers, all the way out tot he sides. You can break them in half or quarters if you want, but it's also okay just to over lap them.

Make the first two packages of pudding using 2 1/2 cups of milk (not the 4 cups called for in the directions on the box).

Pour approximately a third of the pudding over the layer of graham crackers in your bowl. Gently spread it out with a rubber spatula. (It doesn't have to be perfectly smooth, just not wildly uneven, that's all.)

Put another layer of graham crackers on top of the pudding in the bowl. (Again, it doesn't have to be perfect

Glutenfreefamily Enthusiast
I am curious: how did this turn out? Sounds really yummy if you could make it gluten free, with gluten-free crackers... :)

I wanted to make it but I haven't had a chance yet to go to whole foods for the gluten free graham crackers :( I hope to this weekend and I'll let you know when I make it :)

emcmaster Collaborator

This sounds like something my mom used to make when I was younger. I haven't done it yet, but it would be easy to make gluten free:

16 ounces chocolate chip cookie dough

8 ounces cream cheese softened

1/3 cup sugar

1 pint cream, half and half

1 package instant pudding mix, chocolate

1 container cool whip

Preheat oven to 375.

Roll cookie dough into a ball and flatten.

Dip dough and pizza roller in flour and roll cookie out into a 13-inch circle on 15-inch Baking Stone.

Bake cookie for 12-15 minutes or until browned.

Let cool 10 minutes.

Use serrated bread knife or spatula under crust to loosen from stone.

Cool completely.

Combine cream cheese and sugar; set aside.

In batter bowl combine half and half and instant pudding with the 10-inch whisk.

Let set until firm, about 5 minutes.

Spread cream cheese mixture on thoroughly cooled cookie base.

Layer pudding mixture over cream cheese layer.

Layer cool whip over pudding layer.

Chill until served.

Cut with Pizza Cutter.

Archived