Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gillianbeth

Watch Out For Stonewall Kitchen Products!

First let me say hi to anyone who remembers me from before. :) I posted frequently on this site for a couple of years after I was first diagnosed (was actually a moderator for a time) and learned a lot from everyone. It's been a while and I've had to re-registar and am starting fresh.

I felt obligated to give everyone a major "heads up" about the company "Stonewall Kitchen." This may already have been discussed, I'm not sure. They are selling some of their items at stores such as "Roots", and I wanted to alert the Celiacs out there that Stonewall Kitchen has massive errors on their website as to which products are and are not gluten-free. Some of the products and ingredients that they have declared do NOT contain gluten are their stuffed lobsters containing Ritz crackers, their chicken pot pies containing bread crumbs, and many, many others. They even have one item that says, "wheat-yes, gluten-no" as if that makes a bit of sense! I have contacted them twice over the past 2 days, and spoken with 2 different people on this matter, telling them that I cannot and will not trust ANY of their products, no matter what the ingredients, until these obvious errors are more thoroughly looked into. Apparently they have no idea what gluten is, what it means, or what they are doing.

Just wanted to let you all know, be aware and be careful.

Gillian

Thanks for the tip. I have seen their products in local stores, but have never bought any. Looks like I won't bother.

Here is a link to the website for anyone who is interested.

I definitely feel there needs to be some sort of a mass-action against this company for their gross mishandling of their website and this incorrect info they're giving. I once again took a look at some of their products, and I'm just astonished by the information they are giving. Many products list the "Wheat-yes, Gluten-no" answer, many products also list "Wheat-no" and then the first ingredient is "Enriched wheat flour", and even more products such as cake and pancake mixes are listed as "Gluten-no." Although I've spoken with someone there already, in my opinon this is something that the VP of the company should hear about. I think several people calling and/or writing to them may force a change.

Gillian

I already e-mailed them. Among other things, I pointed out that they could be considered responsible if someone eats their food, believing it to be gluten-free as advertised, and then has a serious reaction landing them in the ER.

These idiots even state their Apple Muffins are safe, wheat and barley first ingredients. I just gave them a very strongly worded but polite phone call, I would suggest others do the same, here is their number for customer assistance please call 1-800-826-1752

Maybe a phone call from the FDA would get these people's attention. There's probably not a lot we can do about the "gluten-free" false advertising, since the US hasn't adopted a definition for "gluten-free" (yet), but any of the eight major allergens (including wheat, which they grossly misstate on a number of items) have to be accurately accounted for.

The FDA has a list of contact numbers for complaints here.

I see a lot of old posts about Stonewall Kitchen's lack of allergen labeling. As a fellow celiac and an employee at Stonewall Kitchen I can tell you we have made a huge effort to have our resale food vendors (baking mixes, candies) give us accurate and up to date information. We now have an allergen tracking system in place and customer service as well as all Stonewall Kitchen store employees can give you the most accurate and up to date allergen information. We are also launching a line of gluten free backing mixes and pancake mixes early in 2011 that will amaze everyone! I assure everyone one who reads these posts that Stonewall Kitchen takes food safety very seriously.