Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lilgreen

Likely A Negative Blood Test, But I Haven't Eaten Wheat In Months

I've noticed that I feel noticeably better when I don't eat wheat. So, about 5 or 6 months ago I stopped eating baked wheat products (but I didn't pay close attention to ingredients so I still had soy sauce and the such). Every now and then I'll have a bite of my child's sandwich or something, but nothing substantial in 5-6 months. I eat tons of oats, though, all day long.

I posted recently how I had a negative biopsy 3-4 years ago and as I remember I was going light on the wheat products then, too, although I hadn't cut them out as much as I have this time. But, now my oldest son has been diagnosed with Celiac, my grandma and great aunt also have it. My dad is waiting for his results and he strongly suspects it (he is also an MD).

BUT I had a blood test last week and my dr hasn't called, meaning it was negative. Because I don't eat wheat, could my blood test be negative even if I have Celiac? If so, how long would I have to consume wheat to get a positive result? I feel like I really need the official diagnosis. Also, my husband is still an unbeliever and has a hard time believing I need to go the complete gluten-free route. So, if I had the diagnosis life would be soooo much easier.

Thanks so much for all your wisdom :)

I've noticed that I feel noticeably better when I don't eat wheat. So, about 5 or 6 months ago I stopped eating baked wheat products (but I didn't pay close attention to ingredients so I still had soy sauce and the such). Every now and then I'll have a bite of my child's sandwich or something, but nothing substantial in 5-6 months. I eat tons of oats, though, all day long.

I posted recently how I had a negative biopsy 3-4 years ago and as I remember I was going light on the wheat products then, too, although I hadn't cut them out as much as I have this time. But, now my oldest son has been diagnosed with Celiac, my grandma and great aunt also have it. My dad is waiting for his results and he strongly suspects it (he is also an MD).

BUT I had a blood test last week and my dr hasn't called, meaning it was negative. Because I don't eat wheat, could my blood test be negative even if I have Celiac? If so, how long would I have to consume wheat to get a positive result? I feel like I really need the official diagnosis. Also, my husband is still an unbeliever and has a hard time believing I need to go the complete gluten-free route. So, if I had the diagnosis life would be soooo much easier.

Thanks so much for all your wisdom :)

Hi there,

YEs the blood test could be skewed if you've not had enough gluten in your diet before the test. Especially considering your family history and you have seen positive diet results. I believe you need to consume gluten for 4-6 weeks before the test on a daily basis to be sure. I skewed my results as well, and I was only on the diet for 1 month. My misiniformed doctor had me eat a piece of pizza the night before the test and said that would do it. Best wishes.

Terri

With your history and good results wheat free do you really feel strongly you have to have a positive test to validate what your body is already telling you? I relied on the blood tests for years, was never even told to try the diet just to be thankful I didn't have celiac. No doctor or anyone else told me what it was or the high chances of a false negative on the bloodwork even when consuming a gluten laden diet. I was almost dead and permanently damaged by the time a wise allergist put me on an elimation diet and celiac was finally found. You don't need a doctors permission to follow the diet.