This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Yeah Her School Was Great!

Nikki'smom

Nikki'smom Apprentice

Yesterday i met with my Dd's school nurse to talk about al of this fun new gluten-free stuff and Celiac with her. She was WONDERFUL! She said this is the 1st time she has dealt with a Celiac child but said we can learn together! She brought in the head of the cafiteria and she was also great! She said she already put a call into her director to find a list of gluten-free food on the menu so we can put together a specail gluten-free list for my dd. theya re trying t figure out where in the chain of the school system is the dietican/nutricianist also for the help. She talked about having my dd and I pick items the friday before that are safe for her to eat and which days she will ahve them and putting them aside just for her so they don't get contaminated. I know my dd loved eating the school lunch so this was huge for me! Thenurse said she would keep a specail frozen treat so if the class had a suprise treat that she couldn't have she would have one too! Every one kept assuring me they was to make her as healthy as they can with no issues. since we seem to be making this up as we go along we al decided if it need to be tweeked then we tweek it :D

I also got to sit down with her teacher whom I think is great too! She said when ever possible she would try to buy gluten-free candy for treats for the kids so she is never left out! Love it! We also talked about me providing a specail bag just in case which is great. she will also keep a extra cookie treat in her class just in case. We also talked about when ever there is a party if possible I could help plan it and be there to help which i love doing any way B)

All parties involved agree to ry not to single her out with different items from the rest of the class and any chance that they get to get gluten-free stuff would be made.

I told them I am just a call away and to call me any time with any questions. they all said several time how open communication is great and that is what they want! I am so happy!

My dd loves school so much and is only in 2nd grade so this is huge to keep it fun and let her know every once in awhile she will get 'specail ' things that other kids don't get because she is 'special! LOL Of course I can see my dd milking the 'specail ' part big time! LOL

YEAH another great school!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ptkds Community Regular

Congrats! My dd's teacher seems to be great this year, too.

But last year I tried to let my dd eat the school lunches. They really tried to do it right. They would change their gloves before touching her food, etc. But I believe she was getting glutened every day. She was still moody and was having tummy aches. And she got really bored pretty quick with her limited choices of food. So this year, she is taking her lunch every day. It is a BIG hassle, but I just can't handle her moodiness when she has gluten. Just a thought!

ptkds

Nikki'smom Apprentice

Thanks!

I figured I would at least try the lunches and even at worst case all she gets is the yogurt then that is fine she loves yogurt! LOL That i will also know is safe.

We have already been talking about ideas for lunch for her and so far she is ok with it. I just know last yr she loved getting l;unch at school so I have to at least try you know? I want to keep everything as normal as I can.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I am so glad to hear that the school was so great about the celiac and more than willing to help you out. this helps you put your mind at ease and lets your DD still enjoy buying her lunch. :)

Archived