This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Yeast Rolls?

imsohungry

imsohungry Collaborator

Hey gang,

I know that many people on our forums do not have yeast in their diets. I did a "search" of past threads, and I couldn't find the answer to my question.

So here goes...

I am craving yeast rolls. Not yeast buns or yeast pizza crusts, but those soft, chewy, "yeasty" tasting rolls I grew up on.

Thanksgiving will be here before we realize it, and I need plenty of time to practice my recipe. My mom will undoubtedly make her yeast rolls for the family. This is not cruel to me...yes, I'm tempted, but I wouldn't want to deny anyone these homemade rolls who can enjoy them! ;)

So, I thought this year, I would bake my own....this is where you guys come in:

I NEED a recipe!!! Please, Please, Please! I really don't want to sit through another holiday watching everyone gobble those rolls up!

Many hugs for anyone who responds to my desparate cry for holiday help! :P

-Julie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Have you tried Chebe rolls, the cheese one in the orange package? I know it's not yeast rolls, but they're the best gluten free dinner roll I've had yet. Don't get the whole Foods gluten free bakehouse rolls, not worth it.....

mftnchn Explorer

Hmm, good point. I'll have to start looking for one too that will replace our usual wheat flour yummy ones.

JennyC Enthusiast

Funny, I've been thinking a lot about Thanksgiving lately. So much so, that I bought a small turkey and I'm cooking it today! :lol: I'm going to try making the famous gluten free flax bread recipe into rolls. I'm going to let my bread machine make the dough and maybe let it rise a bit, then quickly make the dough into balls, brush with come butter, put in my oven to rise a bit more, and then bake. I'll let you know how it goes.

JennyC Enthusiast
Funny, I've been thinking a lot about Thanksgiving lately. So much so, that I bought a small turkey and I'm cooking it today! :lol: I'm going to try making the famous gluten free flax bread recipe into rolls. I'm going to let my bread machine make the dough and maybe let it rise a bit, then quickly make the dough into balls, brush with come butter, put in my oven to rise a bit more, and then bake. I'll let you know how it goes.

Update:

The rolls turned out good. Of course, they tasted just like the bread. The rolls were a little dense, but if I had more time to let them rise after I formed the rolls it would have turned out better. They were still good though. I will make them for Thanksgiving. :)

imsohungry Collaborator
Update:

The rolls turned out good. Of course, they tasted just like the bread. The rolls were a little dense, but if I had more time to let them rise after I formed the rolls it would have turned out better. They were still good though. I will make them for Thanksgiving. :)

Glad to hear that the rolls turned out Jenny! How was your turkey? :P I totally understand your early turkey craving. About a month ago, I had a "holiday" food craving hit me. I made sweet potato casserole, turkey w/cranberry sauce, the whole bit. That is when I realized I still hadn't come up with a yeast roll recipe this year!

Happy baking. -Julie

Jo Ann Apprentice

Here's a recipe I got from this board, I think. I've only made it once, but it was good.

Soft Buttermilk Rolls

1/2 c. warm water

2 tsp. sugar

4 tsp. dry yeast

Combine in small bowl and let stand 15 minutes.

2 c. rice flour

2 c. tapioca flour

1/4 c. sugar

4 tsp. xanthan gum

2/3 c. powdered buttermilk

1 1/2 tsp. salt

Combine in large mixing bowl.

1 1/2 c. water

4 Tbsp. melted butter or oil

1 tsp. cider vinegar

3 eggs

Combine last 4 ingredients and add to yeast mixture. Add all liquid ingredients to dry and beat on high speed for about 2 minutes using paddle attachment of electric mixer. Grease 4 inch individual rounds (like for poached eggs) to make sandwich rolls or muffin tins for dinner rolls. Allow dough to rise for 30-45 minutes. If desired, brush with egg white and sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds. Bake at 325 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until nicely browned. Makes about 12 dinner rolls.

I had to make them dairy free and substituted 1 1/2 cups sour non-dairy milk for the buttermilk. These were very good; even the non gluten-free eaters liked them.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

imsohungry Collaborator
Here's a recipe I got from this board, I think. I've only made it once, but it was good.

Soft Buttermilk Rolls

1/2 c. warm water

2 tsp. sugar

4 tsp. dry yeast

2 c. rice flour

2 c. tapioca flour

1/4 c. sugar

4 tsp. xanthan gum

1 1/2 tsp. salt

1 1/2 c. water

1 tsp. cider vinegar

3 eggs

Combine last 4 ingredients and add to yeast mixture. Add all liquid ingredients to dry and beat on high speed for about 2 minutes using paddle attachment of electric mixer. Grease 4 inch individual rounds (like for poached eggs) to make sandwich rolls or muffin tins for dinner rolls. Allow dough to rise for 30-45 minutes. If desired, brush with egg white and sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds. Bake at 325 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until nicely browned. Makes about 12 dinner rolls.

I had to make them dairy free and substituted 1 1/2 cups sour non-dairy milk for the buttermilk. These were very good; even the non gluten-free eaters liked them.

Yummy! Thank you so much! :) I'm determined to do my best this year during the holiday(s) NOT to miss out on any of the "traditional" food I love. Take Care! -Julie

casnco Enthusiast

Soft Buttermilk Rolls

1/2 c. warm water

2 tsp. sugar

4 tsp. dry yeast

2 c. rice flour

2 c. tapioca flour

1/4 c. sugar

4 tsp. xanthan gum

1 1/2 tsp. salt

1 1/2 c. water

1 tsp. cider vinegar

3 eggs

I wonder if you could substitute Pamela's pancake mix for the flour mixture?

Jo Ann Apprentice

I don't know about sbustituting Pamela's Mix since it does contain some of the other ingredients. I make chocolate chip cookies from that mix, but we didn't care for the pancakes or muffins. I usually try to follow the flour ingredients called for in each recipe with very minor changes. If it works, let me know.

• 2 weeks later...
JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I found a recipe for yeast-y rolls on recipezaar and it's very similar to the danish someone posted here, which is why it caught my attention. I thought when I was making those danish that they would translate well to yeast rolls, apparently someone agreed! Try this link

Open Original Shared Link

imsohungry Collaborator
I found a recipe for yeast-y rolls on recipezaar and it's very similar to the danish someone posted here, which is why it caught my attention. I thought when I was making those danish that they would translate well to yeast rolls, apparently someone agreed! Try this link

Open Original Shared Link

Awesome, thank you for the link! I'll definitely try it. :) I did try to make yeast rolls earlier this month; not sure what I did wrong, but they were horrible.

I'm glad I asked this question early...gives me plenty of practice time! ;)

Blessings and baking. -Julie

Archived