Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wowzer

Burt's Beeswax Lip Balm

I have been using some of the Burt's Bees products. I had thought the lip balm was ok, but I am getting gluten from somewhere, so trying to check everything again. I went to the site and searched for gluten free and all that came up was a sunscreen. Does anyone know for sure?

It contains Vitamin E / tocopherols. I react to this ingredient.

Vitamin E can be derived from wheat (and also from soy), and it doesn't have to be disclosed on a cosmetic. I have phoned companies about this, and they admit that the Vitamin E could be from wheat. I've also been told by company reps that the processing gets rid of the gluten--personally, I don't believe that because I know I have reacted to it.

All that said, I have not personally contacted Bert's Bees regarding this, although another member on this board has and was told the E could be from wheat.

I stick to Badger Balm--works great and no gluten at all :)

I got an email from Burts Bees a month ago that confirmed that their Vitamin E is soy derived. I use their lip balm regularly with no reaction.

I didn't share it with anyone. I can't believe that I have chapped lips in the middle of summer. Maybe I have an issue with soy. Thanks for the replies. I'm just getting frustrated here.

I got an email from Burts Bees a month ago that confirmed that their Vitamin E is soy derived. I use their lip balm regularly with no reaction.

This is good to know, as it didn't used to be the case.

wowzer-

I only really get chapped lips in the summer when I'm out at the beach or in the sun.....that causes it for me.

the 'soy' issue really came to light for me using the old berts bees when the soy was the vit E

EDIT.......WAS JUST THINKING.

THERE WAS A LONG THREAD ON THIS TOPIC AGES AGO. I SPENT HOURS AS DID MANY OTHER BOARD MEMBERS....CONTACTING THE COMPANY, AND WE COMPARED EMAIL RESPONCES.

At first the bert's bees back in June of 2005 I THINK said the vit E was from wheat and then later they updated that the vit E was soy based-- so based on the post from "cruelshoes'' I'd say that's correct. That's when I first suspected soy was a problem for me.

Also one very nice bee's represenative said that they use what they can get from the suppliers at the time. I know they are a good company and are trying--but for me, there are other products i feel safer using. It always comes down to that old.....Listen to your own body....

good luck

judy

I don't know why I got the chapped lips now, I haven't been out in the sun. I was just thinking, the tube I opened came in a cute little kit. Maybe it is older and could contain wheat. I had bought a tube this winter that I was using with no problem.

I JUST REC'D THIS FROM LIST SERV.

I HAVE ABSOLUTLY NO FACTS ON THESE PRODUCTS BUT AM PUTTING UP HERE FOR OTHERS TO JUST LOOK AT.

IF ANY OTHERS HAVE CONFERMATION ON THESE FEEL FREE TO POST.

I DO NOT KNOW ABOUT THE SOY - VIT E ...ETC. CONTENTS...JUST THAT THEY ARE TO BE gluten-free.

GOOD LUCK

JUDY

ChapStick has come out with a couple of products made with some great natural ingredients for those that want to avoid petroleum-based products.

However only one of them is currently confirmed as gluten-free per ChapStick customer service.

100% Naturals Bontanical Medley is gluten-free. It has a picture of a coconut, honeycomb and a sunflower on the package. I found it at WalMart.

http://chapstick.com/natural/index.asp

Other great choices of natural lip balms are Badger Balms, which has a new Cocoa Butter balm in a larger stick. It costs a little more but their products are excellent. They even have one with sunscreen.

http://www.badgerbalm.com/c-11-lip-care.aspx

Northridge Gardens has some nice lip balm also. I actually found some locally at an ice cream shop that carried all their products!

http://northridgegardens.com/Products/lip.php

I am bumping this topic because I ran across this email in my inbox today. I referenced it in my post earlier on this thread, but I wanted to post it in its entirety. Hope someone finds it useful.

Sent: Friday, March 16, 2007 11:50 AM

To: information

Subject: Important Information from Burt's Bees

A question from:

First Name: Colleen

Message: I am interested in which of your products are free of gluten (any ingredient containing wheat/barley/rye/oats), I thought your lip products were safe for me, but someone recently told me that the source of your vitamin e is wheat. Can you please clear up my confusion? Thanks!

Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2007 6:36 AM

To: Colleen

Subject: RE: Important Information from Burt's Bees

Hi Colleen:

Our vitamin E is soy derived. Thank you!

Appropriate List For Gluten Restricted Patients

Products NOT containing wheat, Oat, Rye & Barley derived ingredients

Updated: Jan 12, 2007

BABY BEE

BABY BEE DUSTING POWDER

BABY BEE CR

Thank you so much for posting the list. As careful as I'm trying to be, I am either missing something or getting CC. I keep rechecking just in case I am missing something.