Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

holiday16

So Here's Yet Another Question...

depending on the source or is it the same no matter if it's from barley, rye or wheat? I'm wondering because I had two accidental ingestions about a month apart. The first was wheat and the second one was barley. The wheat was terrible and I was so exhausted with it and had the mental fog, shaking, depression etc. With the barley I had really bad intestinal pain for about 8 hours, had some shaking and was a bit tired that day, but never had the mental fog and all the other things I get with the wheat. I was over it very quickly and it wasn't bad at all compared to what usually happens. In fact, if I hadn't known for sure the source I would not have thought I'd had any gluten at all.

One big difference also was that with wheat I have to raise my medication for a while and then taper it back down. With the barley that didn't happen. I thought maybe it was the amount ingested, but I think both of them were very small amounts and were probably comparable. If my reactions were more like what happened in the second instance I probably wouldn't be so paranoid about what I eat, but those 3 week long episodes are just awful!!!