This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Baking With Wheat For Others.

busybee629

busybee629 Newbie

I have a question about baking for others. I have always enjoyed baking and there are recipes using wheat that others like me to prepare for them. So I was wondering if I can make myself sick by using wheat products in preparing baked goods for others.

I have been gluten free for 2 months.

Thanks

busybee629

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor
I have a question about baking for others. I have always enjoyed baking and there are recipes using wheat that others like me to prepare for them. So I was wondering if I can make myself sick by using wheat products in preparing baked goods for others.

I have been gluten free for 2 months.

Thanks

busybee629

Ohooo....the thought of that just gave me shivers!! I can invision flour all over the kitchen, much less in my gluten free pans and utensils....and a week on the sofa.

Why don't you try baking some gluten free goodies for your friends and family. After two years of not having a piece of cake, I made the Chocolate Cake from Pamela's Mix. My family has raved about it and it is the best cake I have EVER tasted. Quite proud of myself, I am. ;)

Check out the baking section on this site. Very good stuff there.

kevieb Newbie

i think that is something you would just have to try and see if it works for you. i know there is someone on here that says she bakes wheat-filled goodies for her husband and has no problems with it. she also says she is a pretty sensitive celiac. i wish i could remember who it was so you could ask her what precautions she takes.

PatBrown Newbie
i think that is something you would just have to try and see if it works for you. i know there is someone on here that says she bakes wheat-filled goodies for her husband and has no problems with it. she also says she is a pretty sensitive celiac. i wish i could remember who it was so you could ask her what precautions she takes.

What if you wore on of those masks that people sometimes wear mowing the lawn. The owner of my favorite Mexican place used to own a pizza place with a partner. They had to sell it becuase the partner became celiac and breathing all of the flour was really making him sick.

mamaw Community Regular

I do make wheat things at times but I've got most of my family enjoying what I make gluten-free so it has gotten less but I still do a little wheat baking.

one thing for sure is I do not use the same cooking supplies & I always scrub the counters & everything in the kitchen down with soapy, hot water then I clorox everything including the cat!!!!! only kidding about the cat....I also take a shower immediately after baking the goodie.....Our house also has a central air- purification unit so I think that is a big plus.

mamaw

emcmaster Collaborator

Risky.

I wouldn't do it. I have banned flour (except for gluten-free) from our house permanently. In fact, the only gluten in our house is in my husband's sandwich bread, occasional cereal (he's not a big cereal eater), a few pre-made bottled sauces he eats and some chicken bouillon that he bought thinking was safe. He orders pizza or sandwiches sometimes too but they eaten/kept on a designated counter.

In a world of unsafe, gluten-contaminated everything, my kitchen/house is my safe haven. I would be washing my hands 8 million times a day (make that 8 million times more a day than I already do) if I ever used wheat flour to make anything.

wowzer Community Regular

I have done some gluten baking because my husband complained that I never baked until I went gluten free. I am afraid of using flour because breathing it in almost seems like eating it to me. I decided to use a ready made crust and made a pecan pie. I just made sure I washed my hands, etc. after. I have also done the cookies you just put on the sheet and bake.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hez Enthusiast

I don't mean to come off as cross but there is no way I would bake with gluten! I live in a world where it is unsafe for me to eat out. Bring that into my kitchen? I think not. My thought is if someone is dying for gluten they can easily get something from a bakery. Life for me is not that easy. Not worth the risk IMHO.

Hez

ArtGirl Enthusiast
I don't mean to come off as cross but there is no way I would bake with gluten! I live in a world where it is unsafe for me to eat out. Bring that into my kitchen? I think not. My thought is if someone is dying for gluten they can easily get something from a bakery. Life for me is not that easy. Not worth the risk IMHO.

Hez

You took the words right out of my mouth!

I can understand sharing a kitchen with gluten stuff, but the risks of dusting the kitchen with WHEAT FLOUR---- :o OMG, I shudder to think......

jerseyangel Proficient

Hez

You took the words right out of my mouth!

I can understand sharing a kitchen with gluten stuff, but the risks of dusting the kitchen with WHEAT FLOUR---- :o OMG, I shudder to think......

Yes--you ladies said it better than I could! :)

busybee629 Newbie

I wantd to thank everyone for their reply. I learned from each one of you. Because I am basically on my own doing the gluten free thing, there hasnt been anyone to share the day to day things. Like baking etc.

I did take the advice of using pre made stuff and baking it. Less chance for flour to get in the air. And I scrubbed everything and threw all laundry in the wash. So far so good. I didnt get sick and I dont think they noticed the difference.

Thanks again for your help

Debbie

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

I wouldn't do it either. No wheat flour (as flour) is passing through our doors ever again. I"m too scared!

One of the worst reactions I had was when I was first going gluten free and I spilled flour (we still had some left and I was moving it or something). I had to vacuum it up, and clean it up, there was flour everywhere...it got in my hair, my eyes, my mouth...and for weeks after, I couldn't get the vaccum clean enough! I finally ahd to break the whole machine down, replce the bags, filters, wash the whole thing, etc.

I don't mind having wheat containing products (I still buy bread and normal cereals for my hubby and kids) but I won't do flour.

My family has been happy, so far, with all of the adaptations to gluten free baked goods that they haven't missed my old baking. And I"m a HUGE baker. One of my fams favs was an apple cobbler, first time I mad eit gluten free - no one noticed at all. :D

busybee629 Newbie
I wouldn't do it either. No wheat flour (as flour) is passing through our doors ever again. I"m too scared!

One of the worst reactions I had was when I was first going gluten free and I spilled flour (we still had some left and I was moving it or something). I had to vacuum it up, and clean it up, there was flour everywhere...it got in my hair, my eyes, my mouth...and for weeks after, I couldn't get the vaccum clean enough! I finally ahd to break the whole machine down, replce the bags, filters, wash the whole thing, etc.

I don't mind having wheat containing products (I still buy bread and normal cereals for my hubby and kids) but I won't do flour.

My family has been happy, so far, with all of the adaptations to gluten free baked goods that they haven't missed my old baking. And I"m a HUGE baker. One of my fams favs was an apple cobbler, first time I mad eit gluten free - no one noticed at all. :D

I am having a bit of a hard time with the gluten free baking. Things always seem gummy when I bake them. I havent even tried cookies yet. Any tips

wowzer Community Regular

I've had good luck baking cookies. I've used a couple of gluten free recipes from this site. I've also converted some of my old favorites. One I'm pleased to say my Mom couldn't tell the difference. I've also had great luck with muffins using Fearns brown rice baking mix. For cookies it seems to work best if I mix 3 different flours.

Archived