This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Some Really Yummy Recipes

Sweetfudge

Sweetfudge Community Regular

Chicken Pot Pie - adapted from the recipe book by the girls at www.eatingglutenfree.com

Here's the deal w/ this one. I omitted the celery, onions and parsnips, added peas, onion powder, and *messed up* on the biscut dough. It turned out well, thankfully. I ran out of featherlight mix, and so I used rice flour for the rest. Then I realized I was out of regular sugar, so I used powdered instead. The recipe originally called for 2 tsp sugar. I was a dope, and added 2 TBSP instead, then couldn't remember if I'd added both, and added a third. Realized my mistake, but luckily it turned out really good. The biscuit part was so delicious and sweet! Tasted almost identical to bisquick. I am gonna make another batch of them, just for pancakes and biscuits!

1 recipe Featherlight Biscuit dough *

1 potato

1 carrot

1/2 c peas

1 cup shredded chicken meat

1/2 tsp poultry seasoning

1 tsp onion powder

salt and pepper

1 recipe cream of chicken soup **

1 c sour cream

Preheat oven to 450.

Chop potato and carrot into small pieces. Bring to a boil in a medium pot, and allow to boil for 20 minutes, until tender. Drain and remove from heat. Add chicken.

Make one recipe of cream of chicken soup. When thickened, add sour cream and seasonings. Pour sauce over veggies and meat. Stir well. Pour into a baking dish.

Spoon biscuit dough on top of filling. Bake for 10-15 minutes until topping is golden brown.

*Featherlight Biscuits

1 1/2 c featherlight mix

1/4 c rice flour

3/4 tsp xanthan gum

1 tbsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

3 tbsp powdered sugar

1/2 tsp salt

6 tbsp shortening

3/4 c milk

Mix dry ingredients. Cut in shortening (I just use my hands to blend it), until shortening is the size of peas. Add milk. Mix in w/ a fork until just combined. Dough should be lumpy.

(To continue recipe, roll dough out on a floured surface, and cut circular biscuits. Place them on a cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes).

**Cream of Chicken Soup

1 1/2 tsp bullion or poultry seasoning

1 c milk

3 tbsp butter

2 tbsp featherlight mix

1/8 tsp salt

dash of pepper

Dissolve seasoning in milk. Melt butter over medium heat. Stir in featherlight mix, salt, and pepper.

Continue stirring until slightly browned.

Add milk. Stir with a whisk to eliminate lumps, until sauce is thickened and boiling. Remove from heat.

Bette Hagman's Featherlight Mix - Just for anyone who needs it.

1 c rice flour

1 c cornstarch

1 c tapioca starch

1 tbsp potato flour (NOT starch)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Summer Fruit Crisp - adapted from Annalise Robert's recipe

I substituted the flour mix used in the original recipe for the featherlight mix.

5 c blackberries and blueberries

1/2 c sugar

2 tbsp flour

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp nutmeg

3 tbsp lemon juice

1 c featherlight flour mix

1/2 c brown sugar

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp xanthan gum

1/4 tsp salt

1/3 c butter, melted

Preheat oven to 375. Grease baking dish. Toss fruit with sugar, flour, and spices. Add lemon juice. Pour into pie dish.

Prepare topping by combining flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, xanthan gum, and salt. Pour in butter, and stir until moistened. Break into small pieces w/ a spoon. Apply topping to fruit, and pat it firmly into place.

Bake in center of oven for 40 minutes, or until bubbly and brown. Serve warm w/ ice cream, yogurt, or whipped cream.

Chocolate Ricotta Muffins - adapted from Annalise Robert's recipe

Another recipe where I used featherlight mix instead of brown rice flour mix the recipe calls for

1 1/4 c featherlight flour mix

1/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder

1/2 c sugar

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp xanthan gum

1/4 tsp salt

2/3 c semisweet chocolate chips

1 large egg

1/2 c ricotta cheese

2/3 c milk

2 tbsp canola oil

2 tsp pure vanilla extract (I used about 2 tbsp vanilla pudding mix, since I had no extract)

Preheat oven to 350. Spray muffin pan.

Mix together dry ingredients. Stir in chocolate chips.

In a separate bowl, whisk egg, cheese, milk, oil, and vanilla until well blended.

Pour milk mixture into the flour mixture and combine until well blended, but do not over beat.

Spoon batter into muffin cups. Bake in center of oven for 20 minutes (about 15 for mini muffins).

ok, can't figure it out...maybe later

A couple more...

Coconut Cupcakes

I adapted the recipe from my sacred "Life Tastes Good Again" cookbook, by the ladies at www.eaetingglutenfree.com

Here goes:

*Adapted* Yellow Cake (shortening based)

1 c. Featherlight mix

1/2 c. gluten-free mix

1/2 tsp. xanthan gum

1 Tbsp. baking powder

1 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. unflavored gelatin

1 1/4 c. sugar

1/2 c. shredded coconut

/12 c. shortening

3/4 c. milk

1 tsp. lemon juice

2 tsp. vanilla

2 eggs

Preheat oven to 375. Grease and flour cupcake pan (if using liners, grease them as well).

Combine flour mixes, xanthan gum, baking powder, salt, gelatin, sugar and coconut. Add shortening, and mix w/ electric mixer until crumbled.

Combine the milk, lemon juice and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients. Beat on low to medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping sides occasionally. Add the eggs and beat 2 minutes more.

Pour batter into pan.

Bake for 18 minutes (at high altitude), or 14 minutes for mini cupcakes.

Frost and enjoy.

Notes:

Be sure to grease whatever baking pan you use, that was the only problem I had w/ mine. I didn't have enough pam to cover the whole pan, and some got stuck inside.

These are great without any frosting!

Next time I make them I will use 1 c. sugar, it was just a bit overly sweet for my taste.

Heavenly Spaghetti

I had so many veggies in my garden, and no idea what to do w/ them. So I made a batch of spaghetti sauce. It was to die for!

Ingredients:

Lots of fresh tomatoes

A cup or two of chopped zucchini

A can of mushroom pieces

Fresh basil

A can of tomato paste

A few cloves of garlic

Lots of onion powder (husband isn't a fan of the real thing)

1 cup of premade spaghetti sauce (just cuz I had it in the fridge to use up)

I put everything in a big pot and let it simmer for a couple hours. I then put it into a food processor and pulsed it a few times, to make the pieces smaller.

Then I simmered it more. Add 2 cups or so of browned hamburger. Serve, with lots of yummy mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses! Prepare to be amazed!!

JennyC Enthusiast

Thanks for the recipes! They look fantastic. :D

Archived