This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Entrolab Test

Linda56

Linda56 Apprentice

I am wondering if someone can tell me on the Entrolab website where the option is to get the test for genetic test for Celiacs? I used them before just for the stool test. I had an IGA, IGG, IGM test just a month ago ago and it was normal. I read that IGA was a pointer to Celiacs. If I have normal IGA should I still consider the genetic test? I am tired of wondering about this. I go off gluten for a while and then fall back to it. I know I would have to do it long term to get a better idea if I have a problem with gluten. I just thought maybe if I get the genetic test then I can know for sure if its really Celiacs and if not then I could focus on maybe a sensitivity. I appreciate anyones thoughts on this. Also read that entrolab wasn't that well thought of for testing has anyone been tested with entolab and then had testing at another facility and got the same results. My doctor doesn't want to give me these test he feels I am not thin enough or malnurished enough. I actually had the IGG,IGA, IGM test through my ear doctor. thanks LindaM

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

burdee Enthusiast
I am wondering if someone can tell me on the Entrolab website where the option is to get the test for genetic test for Celiacs? I used them before just for the stool test. I had an IGA, IGG, IGM test just a month ago ago and it was normal. thanks LindaM

When you're looking at the Elab home page, you'll see a list of options on the left. Click on "Information about Tests" about halfway down the list. Then scroll down that 'Info about Tests' until you see 'Individual Tests' on the left. About halfway down that list you will see 'Gene Test for Gluten Sensitivity/Celiac Sprue'. Click on that for info and test price. When you want to order the test, go back up to the list of options on the left and click on 'order tests'. Since you've ordered their test before, the rest will be familiar. Good luck!

BURDEE

gfpaperdoll Rookie

yes, I really like Enterolab & have used them & have several friends that have used them.

It is not widely known but there are some doctors that use them also...

re negative blood work, you probably have the gluten sensitive genes - but just a guess...

& your doctor does not know what he is talking about. When you become very thin & malnourished that means you are nearly dead. I do not think that you want to continue to eat gluten and kill yourself to prove to your doctor that you have a problem with gluten. these doctors are absurd. In fact you can be obese & have celiac diagnosed by positive biobsy. & any person that is a size from starvation to obesity can have celiac or gluten intolerance... I wonder what ever happened to observation and common sense with these doctors...

Please post back when you get your gene test results thru enterolab

Ursa Major Collaborator

Linda, when you say you used Enterolab for the stool test, what were your results? Are those negative tests you tell about a blood test, or were those negative at Enterolab? I am a little confused.

Linda56 Apprentice

Burdee I found the test it was very simple don't know why the other day I couldn't find it no matter what I did.

Ursa, Sorry if my post was confusing. I had an IGG,IGA,IGM testing ordered by my ear doctor at a lab they use. Those test came out normal. I did the stool test through entrolab quite a while back. I don't still have the results they were positive but a very low number. I want to say 20 just not sure.

I am going to try ordering the other test and see what it shows.

Paperdoll I will post the results when I get them. Thanks everyone.

Linda M

hathor Contributor

Just want to make sure -- having one or the other "celiac gene" doesn't mean you have celiac. That diagnosis requires other testing.

A rather significant proportion of the population has the genes without having the disease. So don't spend the money on the test thinking it will tell you anything that the other testing or your response to being gluten-free hasn't.

Linda56 Apprentice

Hathor thanks for giving me this information.

I guess its hard to get to the core of this. I know people say go gluten free and see how you feel. I feel best when I don't eat anything really. I can't say going without gluten is the thing that makes me feel better. I am on disablity so money is always a problem. I thought maybe getting one more test and just paying for it myself would help me figure this out. But if its not really going to tell me it would be a waste of money. The longer I go without eating in a day the better I function. Except after a time I will get migraines. If I eat a little chicken and maybe some rice. I do ok. I have to watch salt intake and try keeping it below 1500 mil a day alot of products including the gluten free products add salt. So basically I was hoping really to find out if I had a problem with gluten. If I don't have a gluten problem I could relax a little and not think about it as part of my digestion or ear problem. I could then buy low salt foods also no MSG foods and this one thing could be out of the way. My gut feeling is that I don't have a gluten problem. I think I have some other stomach issue. I've been told my ear problem was probably viral but others with ear disease have found they had gluten problem and did better once they changed thier diet. I have tried eliminating all different kinds of foods and then eating them to see what affects me and it seems more affects me that don't. I know it is confusing the way I write not my strong suit sorry.

thanks again Linda

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gfpaperdoll Rookie

Linda your ear problems could be from dairy. If you are eating any manufactured foods there is your problem. You need to be on only plain meats, seafood, veggies, fruit, nuts & seeds & some eggs, maybe rice since you say you do not have a problem with it, nothing else. No gluten-free bread, no gluten-free processed anything. No sodas with artificial sweetners, really no sodas, just drink water, if you need to gain weight drink juice

hathor Contributor

Linda,

It might be worth your while to go on a systematic elimination diet. You start off with the small number of foods that rarely cause anyone problems, eating only those things for a week and seeing if your symptoms resolve. If so, you then slowly add things one at a time & see if you react. It can take a long time, but I've seen people say that this helped them finally figure out what all was bothering them.

It seems like you are practically at an elimination diet already.

Here is one plan for such a diet: Open Original Shared Link

Archived