Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

newceliac

Other Intolerances

I notice that a lot of people state they have other intolerances besides gluten. Is there a way to determine if you have another intolerance.....blood test? If so, would you go to an allergist or the GI dr?

I have been on this diet for a little over a week and I am still having bouts with D and cramping. :(:angry:

I wouldn't worry about going to an allergist just yet. A week is too little to be over the diarrhea and cramping. I still had stomach cramps and diarrhea off and on for over a month after starting the gluten-free diet, as it takes time for the inflammation to heal.

I found that a homeopathic remedy called sepia (available in health food stores, but also in some grocery stores) really helped with the stomach pain. I would take six little pills right away when a stomach ache started, and six more after 30 minutes if I didn't improve. That usually took care of it.

Make sure you eliminate dairy and soy, as it isn't likely that you can tolerate them right now.

Guest kivmom3

I still had stomach pain/cramping and bouts of D after a week as well on the diet. It took me 2 months to start to feel some improvement.

I keep a food journal on all the food I eat every day. I figured out that way that I am soy and rice intolerant. I just eliminated dairy to be safe and will try it in a few months. You could try a food journal and see if it helps identify any other food intolerances.

You could also see a GI doctor who can do some more tests or an allergist. I would wait at least another month or two to see if you feel better first.

It takes time but you will start to feel better every day :)

Gg