Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest j_mommy

Egg Replacer...

Guest j_mommy

I can't find egg replacer anywhere....can I substitute egg white????? I'm wanting to make bread(not in a bread machine) and I'm going to use Bette's featherlite rice bread recipe and it calls for 1tsp egg replacer...can I use 1 egg white????

Also when making bread do you use the dough hook for mixing ect??? or the triangle like attchment???

Thanks soooo much!Jess

I don't think you should use egg whites unless you know that it is only the yolk that bothers you. The whites have more proteins so are more likely than the yolk to be a problem with allergies and intolerance.

I have used an egg replacer before with good results but I guess if you can't find one that won't help you. If you are looking in the future make sure you get egg replacer and not egg substitute because most egg substitutes actually have egg whites in them. I didn't know that until someone pointed it out to me.

Here is a site I've used before for ideas on how to replace eggs:

http://www.wikihow.com/Replace-Eggs-in-Your-Cooking

I haven't tried many of them so I don't know how well they work. I used extra banana and extra potato flower and a bit of water in a banana bread to replace eggs once and that turned out well.

Good luck

Guest j_mommy

Bette's recipe calls for eggs and egg replacer...from what I have found egg replacer is dried egg whites!

Whoops, I think I misinterpreted your post. Sorry. I thought you couldn't have eggs. So if you can have eggs, I think you could probably use one egg. I'm not 100% sure on that though.

Maybe the recipe was trying to minimize allergens by excluding eggs or I know that recipes for a bread machine sometimes use egg replacer instead of eggs so that you can put it on time bake and not worry about an egg sitting in there going bad.

Sorry I wasn't of much help.

Guest j_mommy

That's ok...I wasn't very clear that the egg replacer was an actual ingredient!!! I'm going to the allergist tomorrow...so who knows he may say I have an allergy to eggs!!!LOL

I'm going to tryo using one egg white and see what happens....pray from me! :D

I understand that if you can use eggs in the recipe you don't have to use egg replacer. Don't know why that is sometimes included, but that's what I read some place. Egg replacer is mostly for people who cannot tolerate eggs. My bread recipe calls for both whole eggs and egg white.

Bette's recipe calls for eggs and egg replacer...from what I have found egg replacer is dried egg whites!

Egg replacer is not the same thing as egg substitutes such as Egg Beaters. The ingredients of the Ener-G brand are: Potato Starch, tapioca starch flour, leavening (calcium lactate [not derived from dairy], calcium carbonate, citric acid [corn derived]), sodium carboxymethylcellulose, methylcellulose

Here is a site I've used before for ideas on how to replace eggs:

http://www.wikihow.com/Replace-Eggs-in-Your-Cooking

I haven't tried many of them so I don't know how well they work. I used extra banana and extra potato flower and a bit of water in a banana bread to replace eggs once and that turned out well.

Good luck

Thanks for the link.

I've tried EnerG egg replacer and ground flax seeds before, and those both work. Knowing these other techniques will give me more flexibility in doing recipe conversion.