Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NWLAX36Mom

Follow-up Testing?

I was diagnosed earlier this year. My doctor said it was very important to come back to him in about six months for follow-up testing because it is important to determine that you have stopped reacting. I am not sure exactly wants to do, maybe endoscopy and blood work? Anyway, do most people have follow-up endoscopies and regular GI doctor visits?

Thanks

It has been over two years for me since my diagnosis. I have a full blood work-up to check to see if all is well, about once a year. Other than that no GI follow-up and don't feel one is necessary for me. But, I am a lot more knowledgeable than I was two years ago and I know what to watch for.

I had a follow-up endoscopy at about 4 months after diagnosis because I was still sick and also in the hospital for an unrelated medical emergency. I then saw my GI for a 6 month follow-up and he just did blood work for antibodies and hemoglobin and I think some other things.

At least getting a Celiac panel is probably a good idea. If your antibody levels are good I don't see the need for an endoscopy but your doctor might think differently. If he's old school like my GI he's probably obsessed with tests and scopes. If your doc is adamant about a endoscopy, it would at least be a a good assurance that your villi are in deed healing/healed. As far as I know my GI wants to see me again at a year post diagnosis and then once a year after that for a check-up and a Celiac panel so I'm assuming that's standard practice.

My GI saw me at 3 mos. and 6 mos. He did blood work both times including CBC, Chemistries, liver enzymes, TSH, B12, folate and Vit. D. He plans to do this every 6 mos. for a while. Even though I am gluten free, he says I am still at high risk for developing other problems. For example, my B12 level is trending down even though I am taking vitamins and completely gluten free.