Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chocolatelover

Help!

Hi there...havean't been on in a long time, but here is my story...I was diagnosed with lymphocytic colitis in January (causes chronic diarrhea, some say it's the large intestine version of celiac), diagnosed with celiac in April. Several weeks ago I did a blood test to test for about 150 foods and cemicals to see what I react to. I have been found to have possible intolerances to corn and soy, so I am currently on a very strict diet of rice, potatoes, chicken, turkey, almonds, eggs and a couple of fruits and vegetables. I eat nothing processed and drink nothing but water. I have discontinued OTC meds that could have been causing problems (like the calcium that had corn starch in it). I eat nothing processed at all. Every day since I started, I have had horrendous gas, bloating, gurgling, major stomach discomfort and my diarrhea is worse (if that's at all possible!). The only 2 things that I have eaten every day is brown rice (in the form of rice or rice pasta) and chicken. This diet is a 6 week trial, and after one week you start adding things in, one at a time (next week I can add cheddar cheese, pork, green beans, etc.). I started on Saturday and am under the care of a nutritionist who works with people doing this diet. Is it possible that the rice is actually causing my problems? Has anyone else ever had a problem with rice? Today I'm going to try eating no rice at all--poatoes, eggs, meat, veggies, fruit to see what happens.

I am going crazy because I can't eat anything, I'm starving, grumpy and I'm tired of feeling like my insides are going to explode.

Any thoughts from anyone would be greatly appreciated!!

CL

it could very well be rice. i can not eat rice in large quantities and it can't be a hardy rice like wild rice because then i'll be sorry! i was told to try the quick cooking rice because it's easier to digest for some people. rice in general is "roughage" and diffucult for the body to digest. i also find that if i eat too much potato then i'm sorry also. but having a small baked potato seems to be okay. but if i eat a plate of mashed potatoes - ugh! try taking rice out for the next week and see how it goes. there isn't a lot to take the place of the carbs. that i have found except polenta (corn). Also, how many almonds do you eat? those are very hard to digest too. when i was first dx'ed my nutritionist told me to stick to seeds and no nuts (pumpkin, sunflower etc.)

YES, I would never have believed it but I recently had to quit eating rice - & like you I was eating brown rice. I gave up corn & rice & feel tons better - I upped my meat consumption & read the book "The Paleo Diet" & now I mostly eat Paleo.

Rice that is on the market now is also genectically altered, & it seems to me that more & more people are having a problem with rice...

Oh & I would not eat white potatoes either they are very high in lectins & a nightshade veggies & a lot of us cannot eat them. Eat sweet potatoes instead

yea you might have candida. i have the worst case of candida known to man. i smell sugar or carbs and get "loose"

i pretty much eat very little variance in my diet and try things here and there to see how they affect me; not much success most of the time. it seems if i could heal them i would be able to tell what is bothering me instantly, but it is always one thing or another, perpetual healing...or misery not sure which soemetimes

I have heard of the Paleo diet but have never researched it. What exactly is it?

I can't eat sweet potatoes for another several weeks on this diet yet. Potatoes don't seem to give me any more problems than I have when I don't eat them.

I have also thought that perhaps candida could be a problem, and it was just suggested to me tonight to get tested for heavy metal toxicity. I thought my search for answers was perhaps coming to an end, but I guess not!

Thanks for all of your comments. I didn't eat any rice today and felt tons better. I would be really bummed--how do you bake without wheat or rice flour?

Dear chocolatelover,

Alamaz mentioned something about eating too much potato causes serious stomach upset. The same thing happens with me. I have Candida. I agree with Scotty. If you have been on a lot of antibiotics in the past, steroids, or birth control, it is a good possibility. Another thing is your tongue usually is white, especially after eating fruit. Heavy metal toxicity often acompanies an overgrowth of yeast, which has caused Leaky-Gut.

Dear alamaz,

I have the same trouble! Candida is a major problem for me, so there are times I got very sick. It was awful! I know half of a large potato is safe, but not the whole thing. Eating it with protein helps even out my low blood sugar. I wondered if anyone else had this issue!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Hey NoGluGirl- how did you find out that you had candida? When I was DX'ed I was showing a reaction to yeast, but it was mild. I went on a probiotic and thought it would be okay. But if I eat too much gluten-free baked goods with flour or to many starches/carbs I get really sick. I just assumed it was my body not being healed yet. Maybe I should look into the candida issue? Plus, I'm 8 weeks pregnant and the only thing I can hold down in the mornings right now is toast (gluten-free of course). I know it's so bad for me but today I tried eating bacon and an apple with no toast, let's just say my ride to work was NOT fun at all :huh:

Dear alamaz,

You sound like you are having as rough a time as me! Being 8 months pregnant likely contributes to that. Candida is actually often diagnosed by your symptoms and past. I have been on steroids for asthma, tons of different antibiotics for various infections from birth until now (I am 24), as well as the Depo shot for ovarian cysts. Hormones play a role in yeast growing out of control. Pregnancy, especially multiple ones puts women at a higher risk. I switched to a holistic physician last year due to suspecting Candida after performing extensive research.

I was so fascinated by Candida's pathology, that I wrote an essay on it. If you would like a copy, PM me with your e-mail address. I would be more than happy to send a copy to you! It actually hurts to sit down sometimes! Not everyone gets the symptoms in the nether-region, so to speak. Intestinal Candida is a real problem that manifests in over 100 physical symptoms alone! :o

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

I have heard of the Paleo diet but have never researched it. What exactly is it?

I can't eat sweet potatoes for another several weeks on this diet yet. Potatoes don't seem to give me any more problems than I have when I don't eat them.

I have also thought that perhaps candida could be a problem, and it was just suggested to me tonight to get tested for heavy metal toxicity. I thought my search for answers was perhaps coming to an end, but I guess not!

Thanks for all of your comments. I didn't eat any rice today and felt tons better. I would be really bummed--how do you bake without wheat or rice flour?

Sorghum, tapioca, potato, almond, amaranth, montina, or just flourless baking. try googling flourless anything you want to bake, it usually works.

If you test positive for heavy metal toxicity, try looking up something called chlorella to help cleanse yourself, I'm sure there's lots of other stuff too.

How do you get tested for either candida or heavy metal toxicity?

try a shot of apple cider vinegar with mother...if your belly burns like you just ate battery acid you got major problems :blink: jk

really thats how they helped me on here. there is certain reactions and such, white tongue, rashes, intolerances to foods like ones that contain sugars and/or vinegars, yeast!! google candida

Dear chocolatelover,

I did not even have to do the vinegar, because anytime I ate a salad with dressing based from vinegar, I felt the way Scotty did. :( It does feel like you swallowed battery acid, or a really angry Netsuke dragon! :o Rashes have a bad habit of popping up and suddenly disappearing. Eczema is common, too. Candida causes so many issues, it is unreal! A number of doctors just plain refuse to believe it is a cause of illness.

I wrote an essay that can tell you more about it. Just PM me with your e-mail address. I have to send it in an attachment, because it is a Word document. There are some great books and sites out there as well. Dr. William G. Crook's "The Yeast Connection" is still widely used. His protocol is the favorite among practitioners even now.

If you are anything like me, you crave sugar all the time. Fatigue is typical as well. Fibromyalgia is another normal symptom with an overgrowth. Your tongue turning white, especially after consuming fruit or starches is an excellent indicator.

Nausea, bloating, gas, colon problems (diarrhea and constipation), as well as stranger, less obvious things like ringing in the ears, dizziness or loss of balance/feeling drunk, headaches, and a sensitivity to mold all are very often a result of this full-body fungal infection.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl