Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TrillumHunter

I Got The Gene Test Back For Daughter

She is HLA DQ 2,3 subtype 2,7 So that means she has the most common celiac gene and the sensitivity gene. A double whammy. I'm not surprised at all as she was one point under the cutoff with her blood work and she has lots of symptoms. Even she said she thought it would be positive. Still, she cried a lot and was pretty upset. Luckily I was diagnosed in April and I've been doing really well. She has been able to see there are lots of yummy gluten free meals. We are opting not to do the biopsy and will just take her gluten-free. If she is not any better in six months we'll investigate her symptoms.

I don't understand what the subtypes mean. I've been reading this evening but I haven't made sense of it yet. Also, it said that each of her parents carry the sensitivity gene. So I wonder if I should share that with my sister in law? Her son has lots of issues that are unexplained.

Thanks for listening. My boys are next....

Just a comment that my daughter's GI said during an evaluation of my son's blood work (which had mixed results). The ranges for what is diagnosed as Celiac were established based on data from adults . . . just something to think about . . . why so many kids with symptoms may not get the diagnosis.

She is HLA DQ 2,3 subtype 2,7 So that means she has the most common celiac gene and the sensitivity gene. A double whammy. I'm not surprised at all as she was one point under the cutoff with her blood work and she has lots of symptoms. Even she said she thought it would be positive. Still, she cried a lot and was pretty upset. Luckily I was diagnosed in April and I've been doing really well. She has been able to see there are lots of yummy gluten free meals. We are opting not to do the biopsy and will just take her gluten-free. If she is not any better in six months we'll investigate her symptoms.

I don't understand what the subtypes mean. I've been reading this evening but I haven't made sense of it yet. Also, it said that each of her parents carry the sensitivity gene. So I wonder if I should share that with my sister in law? Her son has lots of issues that are unexplained.

I did Enterolabs for my DD. Your DD has the same exact genetic result as my 2 1/2 DD. Yeah, I'm not thrilled at all about that double whammy; there is history on my side but none that we knew of on my husband's side. He is Hispanic and eats a LOT of corn based whole food meals so I thought we really had nothing to worry about there or we would have heard of some family history by now. He was somewhat in shock. He and I show no symptoms and have no digestive problems - are in good health.

I'm interested in reading any more responses to this thread about the subtypes because I don't understand it at all myself.

We have an appt with a ped. gastro in 2 weeks and I plan on asking her then - will share any info I get.

Just to let you know, according to Enterolab there is really only one gene set (I think it's HLA-DQ4) that isn't related to gluten sensitivity or Celiac Disease, and it's linked only with people of Asian or Native American descent. So, if you are not full blooded Asian or Native American, you will have at least one gluten sensitivity gene. But this doesn't mean that a gluten sensitivity will definitely present itself if someone has these genes. Same goes for Celiac Disease - 30-40% of the population has a Celiac Disease gene, but only 1% of the population will actually contract the disease. The doctor who runs Enterolab theorizes that gluten (and casein) isn't good for anyone - not even for the people who have no gluten sensitivity or Celiac genes. But there are several doctors and insurance companies who do not agree with this theory. I have my own opinions, and although I think the position may be a bit extreme, at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if he is proven correct.

I am sorry to say that my daughter hasn't had the HLA'S. her doctor for some reason thought my insurance wouldnt cover it. well if found out it is and that means more blood work for her.. You need to do the endoscopy- for 1 reason- if only to follow up. it is to check to see if the damage the glutens caused is getting any better.

my daughter was not happy with this but understood this.. it is to keep her healthy and make sure everything is working the way it should..

What state r u in?

I am in NY and there is a good dr here and I know of a good one in MD.. a friend of mine needed to use he is a celiac dr and researcher.. her daughter was not responding to gluten-free diet.. and they new she was celiac. he found the problem quite quickly..

yes, you need to share it w/your sister in law and have yourself and your husband tested.

vvvvvvglglg

lynn