Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carolina Girl

Don't Believe It

I was told on Monday of this week that I have a classic case of Celiac Spure but I find it hard to believe. I had diaherria for five months but when my regular physician changed my blood pressure meds the diaherria stopped. Gastro doctor did colonscopy and endoscopy and said that the picutres show classic Celiac Sprue. I have NO symptons - none. He wants me to go on a gluten free diet and have my adult children tested for Celia. No one else in my family has ever have Celiac or had any symptons of Celiac. The doctor told me that I could get a second opinion but that he would guarantee that the second opinion would also be Celiac. Am I just being stubborn or what?

I too had absolutely no symptoms, not even the D. I ended up with gall bladder problems and through all of that testing I was told I had it from the biopsy that was done. Later I had the blood work done to confirm what the biopsy had shown. Some people have no symptoms until something else happens. I guess it depends on the person. Also no one else in my family has nor heard of Celiac until I was diagnosed. Now 3 of my 4 boys have been tested and only the oldest who is also diabetic has it. So good luck and get the second opinion. Not all doctors are right at first chance.

You don't need symptoms to have Celiac. Symptoms aren't what Celiac is. Celiac is defined by the damage to the villi by the presence of gluten.

http://www.celiacdiseasecenter.columbia.edu/CF-HOME.htm is a good site with many resources. It is one of the best Celiac practices in the country.

"Characteristics of celiac disease

It is unclear whether celiac disease is an autoimmune disease or an inflammatory condition with autoimmune aspects. The clinical classification of celiac disease is based on the presence of gastrointestinal symptoms. Symptomatic, active or classical celiac disease refers to presentations with diarrhea, with or without malabsorption, whereas in asymptomatic or silent celiac disease gastrointestinal symptoms are lacking or not prominent even though extra-intestinal symptoms may be present. The majority of individuals with celiac disease are considered to have the silent form."