This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Vent/rant

Ursa Major

Ursa Major Collaborator

Well, I just need to vent, I am awfully angry.

I got a new medic alert bracelet a few months ago, a beautiful silver one, which cost us over $80.00. They left one line open for engraving, in case something needed to be added at a later date, which would cost us $5.00, instead of buying a new bracelet.

I have wanted a sports bracelet for a while, for playing table tennis, and to wear to my babysitting job, because one of the boys keeps pulling at my silver one whenever he sits on my lap. And I am afraid he will break it eventually. Besides, I find him pulling at it annoying.

Also, I was diagnosed with Addison's disease this past summer while in Germany. And if I am in an accident and don't get a ton of hydrocortisone quickly by IV, the shock could kill me.

So, when I got a flyer announcing that several items were on sale, including the sports bracelets (for $30.00, which is $10.00 off), I ordered one. After updating all my information, of course. I also sent them an e-mail, telling them I just wanted 'Addison's Disease' added on the bottom to my other information, and that I wanted my silver bracelet updated after receiving the sports bracelet.

Three days ago somebody called to discuss everything. She really wanted to have 'Steroid dependent' added, as she claimed that many medics wouldn't know what Addison's disease is. She said I should get a new plaque for my silver bracelet, which would 'only' cost me $70.00, as both bracelets should match.

I told her that I had no intentions of buying a new plaque, and that I just wanted the Addison's disease line added, and that if a medic wouldn't understand that, he could call the hotline.

She finally agreed that they would do it just like that.

Yesterday I got the new wallet card, which goes along with the bracelet (the bracelet will come separately within the next few days). I am sooooooooooooo mad I could spit nails, and feel like I want to strangle somebody!

My silver bracelet says:

ASTHMA

CELIAC DISEASE

ALLERGIC: THEO-DUR

MORPHINE-ASPIRIN

with an empty space beneath all that, as I said.

My wallet card tells me that my new bracelet says:

ASTHMA/CFS

CELIAC DISEASE

STEROID DEPENDENT

CALL FOR DRUG AND

FOOD ALLERGIES

Also, for medication it still only says that I use a salbutamol inhaler, even though I updated my information to say that I now also take hydrocortisone, fludrocortisone and desiccated thyroid (Armour). Which is very important and could save my life.

I sent them this e-mail:

Hello,

I just received my new wallet card today, and I am VERY unhappy with what you are engraving onto my new bracelet. It isn

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Ursa,

Gosh, I hope they will fix it for you, the way you requested, and quickly.

I don't blame you for being angry--how dare they take it upon themselves to change the wording like that.

ptkds Community Regular

That is so wrong what they did to you! I would complain to the BBB if they don't fix it!

I recently bought some med bracelets for myself and my dd's. When they arrived, my older dd didn't like her bracelets at all and suddenly wanted a necklace. So I called them, and they agreed to make the exchange for me without a problem! Also, they offer an online medical registry for free that you update yourself! You can buy the tag ($6.95, and it just attatches to your bracelet easily) that has the website, phone number, and your personal access number to your medical info. And you fill in the wallet cards yourself. I LOVE this company. They are pretty inexpensive. I looked up the silver bracelets, and the most expensive one is $60. And you can buy a 2nd for only $9.95 (including sports bracelets). The website is: Open Original Shared Link

They are super easy to deal with, and you can also preview how your bracelet looks with the engraving.

I don't always support companies this way, but I believe in supporting a good company that really takes care of their customers and makes good quality products.

ptkds

AndreaB Contributor

Ursa,

I'm so sorry for the complete messup with this company. I have no idea why they would take it upon themselves to put whatever they thought was right on your bracelet. Hopefully they will take care of the situation promptly for you.

Ursa Major Collaborator

Thanks, ptkids for that link! I ordered one of their nice sports bracelets as well as a necklace now, I like them so much better! I sent another e-mail to Medic Alert and told them I am cancelling my order for the sports bracelet, and will return it unopened at their expense as soon as it arrives, as it will be useless to me. I told them I expect them to refund my Mastercard for the full amount, including shipping and handling, because it was them that messed up. And that I ordered a much nicer and less expensive bracelet from their competition, because with them I can actually put onto it exactly what I want, without interference.

I also told them that I still want them to update my silver bracelet, and to please send me another wallet card with the correct information, so I can still wear that.

I am a little shook up over all this and have a migraine as a result, I don't need the stress of something like that on top of my already too stressful life!

Thanks girls for your support, it means a lot to me.

hathor Contributor

Remember you can always challenge any charge put on your credit card. I've found it better to follow this route, rather than simply waiting for a credit card credit. (You do have to make your complaint known to the vendor also, but you've already done that.) For some reason, companies seem to be able to charge you immediately, but to reverse the charge always seems to take weeks. <_<

At least you don't have to worry about not getting your money back.

Ursa Major Collaborator
Remember you can always challenge any charge put on your credit card. I've found it better to follow this route, rather than simply waiting for a credit card credit. (You do have to make your complaint known to the vendor also, but you've already done that.) For some reason, companies seem to be able to charge you immediately, but to reverse the charge always seems to take weeks. <_<

At least you don't have to worry about not getting your money back.

Thanks, but how do you challenge a charge?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular
Thanks, but how do you challenge a charge?

Call the credit card company. Tell them that you want to contest a charge and they'll walk you through it.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Ugh--hope it all works out! Sorry you were subjected to that appalling level of incompetence.

hathor Contributor

The back of your credit card statement should spell out the steps necessary for disputing a charge. Calling is good and can alert the company (particularly if a charge has yet to go through). But to preserve your rights you need to write to the credit card company. Until the dispute is resolved, you don't have to pay the challenged charge nor any financial charges or late fees.

I just noticed you live in Canada. Sorry I didn't see that before. What I've said relates to US law. I don't know if cards in Canada provide this protection. Does anyone know? Anyway, your statement should say what your rights are. If not, call the credit card company. I'm sure disputes between buyers and sellers take place in Canada as well as the US :lol:

Cheri A Contributor

Ursa, I'm so sorry to read of the trouble you are having with Medic-Alert! Coupled with another story I recently heard, I'm a bit concerned. Carleigh also wears a Medic-Alert bracelet (and I need to update her tag too).

A classmate of Carleigh's has allergies also and wears the sports band type. They were at a Waterpark and it came undone. The facility called Medic-Alert and were given the name. They were told that Medic-Alert would call to tell the family where the missing bracelet was. Well, the mother checked at the front desk and was given the bracelet back and told that she would have a call from Medic-Alert when she got home. There was no call from Medic-Alert when she got home!

One of the huge benefits to me is that someone could call in and get all of Carleigh's history, if I am unable to provide it or she's away from me in an emergency situation. If they can't be trusted, then I have no need for them, really.

imsohungry Collaborator

Oh, good grief! So sorry you are going through all of this. I hope the situation is resolved quickly.

I hate having to dispute companies or banks; I've done both, once over a pitiful $20 bucks and the next time for $1600 dollars. My thoughts are with you; It tics me off more than I can say when companies don't do business correctly or ethically. <_<

I'm glad I read this thread...it reminds me that I REALLY need to get a bracelet. The last time I used my necklace, the paramedics didn't check for it. The dang thing had flipped during my fall and was dangling down my back....I was laying on it!!!! :huh:

I ordered a nice bracelet and it pinched the shi* out of my arm hair. So I purchased one at my local pharmacy, and the medical alert emblem FELL OFF OF IT! :rolleyes::o:blink:

I finally gave up and haven't worn any medical identification since then. I'm going to try the link posted by pdk! B)

Blessings everyone. :) -Julie

Ursa Major Collaborator

Well, on Monday I found an envelope from Medic Alert in the mail. And thinking that the bracelet would come in a box, I opened it, and it was the bracelet. I was surprised that it was engraved exactly the way I had agreed upon with the person I was talking with on the phone! And the wallet card that came with it has a ton of information that is excellent.

I also found a message on my answering machine from that same lady I had talked to a week previously, and she was wondering what the problem was, and she had no idea that somebody had sent me the letter with the crazy walled cards that arrived on the Friday!

But obviously SOMEBODY from their office had messed up and mailed those. And the whole problem was caused by it saying that the message I quoted above was engraved onto my bracelet. I couldn't call them of course, since it was the weekend.

My husband says now that I jumped the gun and should have just waited until Monday and then called them, rather than getting all upset and ordering a new bracelet from another company. Of course, nothing ever upsets him, he doesn't have feelings anyway.

I e-mailed Medic Alert, and attached the scanned picture of the offending wallet card, so they could see why I was upset. I said that really somebody messed up in their office, which resulted in me having a lot of stress (which is the last thing I need with Addison's Disease) and as a consequence a migraine that lasted four days. And that it would be nice if they would help me by giving me a partial refund on the bracelet, since now I will have to pay for the other bracelet as well (which will be an awful lot nicer than the one I bought from them).

What a pain! I should call them, but I've had so much stress lately that I'm not sure I can handle it without breaking down in tears. I always find that awfully embarassing when talking to strangers on the phone. And they haven't answered my e-mail or called, either.

ehrin Explorer

I also had problems with them when I ordered my first new bracelet, in good grief, 20 years? I just wanted a new pink emblem, my old one was so scratched and worn that you could no longer read it. When I called to order my new one I wanted the same verbiage:

Diabetes

Insulin

Dependent

The CSR said she'd just put T1 Diabetes on there and that it'd be fine. I told her "no" that I wanted it to specifically say insulin dependent - to avoid any confusion should something happen. She must have fought me on it for a good 5 minutes - we went back and forth - and finally I won, under her sighs of distress. It just puts my mind at ease to have insulin dependent spelled out...what's the harm? I'll probably wear this one for the next 20 years...who wants to go through that again!

I'm glad it was finally resolved for you!

Guest j_mommy

Ursa,

I don't think you jumped the gun!!! You had a right to be upset given the info they sent you!!!! I'm glad it has semi straightened out!!!!

kbtoyssni Contributor

I don't think you jumped the gun either. You have every right for you bracelet to say exactly what you want it to - you're paying for it! I would have been super mad, too, and I'm glad it got worked out.

Archived