Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cyberpriya

gluten-free Baking Powder?

Hi All!

I am new the gluten-free "lifestyle"...it certainly is one! I keep finding out things I thought were safe and possibly aren't such as...baking powder. Does any one know who makes a true blue gluten-free baking powder and where I might buy/order it? Thanks a million. Please reply soon. I miss my muffins ;-)

Patti

I saw Calumet Baking Powder listed on a Gluten Free list we got from the nutritionist. It's made by Kraft (I think) or one of the companies that doesn't hide their gluten. It's "double acting" and my stuff has been rising like CRAZY since I started using it. It works GREAT. And it's gluten free.

Baking powder

Here's baking powder: 1 tablespoon cream of tartar, 1/2 tablespoon baking soda, 1/2 tablespoon arrowroot. That's it, it works just as well as the stuff you buy.

Or

You can substitute baking powder in place of baking soda (you'll need more baking powder and it may affect the taste), but you can't use baking soda when a recipe calls for baking powder. Baking soda by itself lacks the acidity to make a cake rise. However, you can make your own baking powder if you have baking soda and cream of tartar. Simply mix two parts cream of tartar with one part baking soda.

This was posted somewhere in this site and I copied it down.

Yellow Rose

Thanks, everyone!

Whew! I was using Calumet so I guess I am ok. My naturopath gave me a list of food to avoid b/c they may POSSIBLY have gluten and when I saw baking powder, my heart sank. Ok, that is great. Thanks Agian.

Patti

Thanks, everyone!

Whew! I was using Calumet so I guess I am ok. My naturopath gave me a list of food to avoid b/c they may POSSIBLY have gluten and when I saw baking powder, my heart sank. Ok, that is great. Thanks Agian.

Patti

Just make sure you never used a gluten-y utensil in your baking powder! (I have a habit of stirring with whatever's in my hand, had to throw a lot out)