Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

amandadn

9 Month Old

Hi everyone, I am new to all of this and found this looking for wheat free recipies for my daughter. The more I read about celiac, the more I wonder if she has this. We go to the doctor next Wednesday and I was wondering if you had any suggestions as to what to ask, expect, etc. We are looking into the blood test, but I do not know much about it or any of this. I do know that she cannot eat wheat, milk, eggs yoks and that she WANTS to eat everything. She is just now getting to the finger food age and I am scared to give her anything, for fear of her getting sick. Her Dad, Grandpa and Aunt all have type 1 diabeties, is there a link between the two? Are there different symptoms between allergies and celiac?

I am sorry for rambleing on, my head is just spinning and I do not know where to turn.

Thanks for your help,

Amanda

You will find great support here!

Is she not allowed to have wheat , eggs,etc b/c she's too young or b/c it is allergey?

I know for my daughter , she's 2 1/2 had the blood test done and it was important for her to be on wheat until the test.

What kind of reaction does she have when you give her wheat? Food allergies can mimic the symtoms of Celiac (at least on the outside!).

T1 diabetes and celiac are closeley related. They are both autoimmune disorders and if you have 1, you have a much higher chance of having the other. Do a google search for "diabetes and celiac" and see what pops up. In fact, I have heard of pedi's testing all of the T1 diabetics for celiac, even if they don't have symptoms.

As for the blood test, the results are not always accurate in children as young as your dd. They are commonly false negatives. My dd was 14 months old when she was tested. They did the endoscopy at the same time. Her tests came back normal, but she had stomach ulcers at only 14 months old! So the dr told us to put her ont he gluten-free diet that day. Now she is the worst to react out of all 3 of my kids. But if you do want her tested, then she must be on gluten to have more accurate results. However, if she gets too sick, you can request a gene test (I don't know too much about this area, but others do and they may respond) or you can go through Enterolab (http://www.enterolab.com). She doesn't have to be on gluten for either of those tests.

Good luck and keep us posted!

ptkds

Thank you for all of you help. As to her not being able to have wheat, milk and eggs, she reacts by upset stomach, both ends. That is why at first I thought it was just allergys ubt now I am not sure. She has reacted to barley, but not as bad as the wheat. When I was nursing her, she spit-up like crazy, and the same on formula. About 3 mo ago we switched to soy formula and she is doing great on that. Has anyone given their babies/kids tofu? I have never had it, I am just trying to think of wheat-free foods to give her. As to the blood test, I have heard to get a more accurate result, to have them on a gluten diet. Does anyone know how long the test results take?

Thank you again, I am just trying to prepare myself as best as I can.

It took about 2 weeks for our blood tests to come back. I think they came back a little faster from the gastro, though. I think it just depends on you dr's office and the lab they use. Two of my celiac dd's had to have soy milk, and the 3rd had to have Alimentum. I could only nurse for a very short time because I dont' make enough milk to feed a baby. So I would pump and feed that to my dd's. My yougest would always spit up my milk, but would usually keep the regualr formula down (I wasn't gluten-free at the time cuz I didn't know I had Celiac).

Also, I think alot of Celiacs have different reactions to different kinds of gluten.

ptkds

OH yeah, a good finger food for her age is some crackers called "Baby Mum Mums." They do have milk in them though. You can find them in Walmart with the toddler foods. I have never tried tofu, so I am no help there! The dried gerber fruits are safe, too. And Dora stars cereal is gluten-free. Those were our "Cheerios" for our toddlers! Trix, Fruity pebbles, Cocoa pebbles, and Little Einsteins cereals are all safe.

ptkds