Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kimber

Could Use Some Advice

Hi everyone

My ds, Zachary will be 4 in October....

He was diagnosed with reflux and put on meds at 2 weeks for refusing to eat

Things were OK from that point on until he was 6 mnths old and i stopped b/f...they only got worse when he was 1 yr and we started solids

After seeing NUMEROUS Dr (with no help), allergy testing was negative...

I kept a food diary and when he was 2yrs noticed he seemed extra fussy/gassy etc after eating gluten...he has always had problems with b/m as far as constipation

I tried a gluten-free diet (he was already dairy/soy free) and he did GREAT...he responded with tons more energy, much much less cranky and starting gaining weight and height (he was never FTT but was small for his age, but gained steadily)

I spoke to his GI who ran b/w for celiac which came back neg...he was never scoped

As we got away from grains all together he started eating more and more fruit and I noticed he had issues with grapes, raisins, banana and didn't do well with fruit juices....

I did some further research and felt he may also have fructose issues....

I decided to try and strict low fructose or fructose free diet but add back some gluten (since I had so few options for him)

Zach now has dark circles and pale complexion....his mood isn't terrible, but he is a little short

I've also noticed his concentration has gone out the window and I'm having to tell him to CALM DOWN allllll day....

I'm angry, frustrated, confused and sad

If I need to take him off gluten again...how can he possible be gluten and fructose free...is anyone dealing with this diagnoses, and I have no idea what the poor boy will/can eat

Looking for any guidance etc

Thanks, Kim

zach and ava's mom

i think i'd start with food allergy testing and go from there.

whoops!----i just looked at your post and saw that you've already done that. kids that age can get pretty wild just because they are kids---but i can understand your concern about the circles under they eyes.

The circles under the eyes are from the gluten. get the kid off gluten immediately, before you get some real problems.

I would make a list of allowed foods & go from there.

I am not up on candida but I think you should read about that - maybe someone else on here will post about that... or you could do a search.

Dealing with multiple intolerances can seem impossible in the beginning. I'd second the suggestion that you start with a list of what he can eat and go from there. Don't worry about letting him try foods you think he might not like - if he starts to feel better, he might surprise you, kids are sometimes amazingly practical about food.

Pauliina

Circles could be gluten or he could have other allergies. I saw you had him tested for food allergies what about air born ones?

My son gets dark cirlces under his eye come spring and we know to up his allergy meds and with in 2 days he is fine. Same thing happens to my girlfriends son. It happens to my DD too but she is also Celiac so hers could be either or both.

If he did so well gluten-free maybe he has a gluten intolorance or he was to young to have the blood tests positive? How long ago did you test him?

Good luck with everything and Welcome!

ITA. My dd has multiple food allergies and environmental allergies. I do notice that the dark circles come back in the spring and fall due to the EAs. We up the antihistamine and she usually needs her inhaler more.

((hugz)) as you continue on this crazy journey we are all on!

I am sorry to hear you are having such a hard time. I hope your son is feeling better soon. Quick question... was he gluten free when the Dr. ran the blood work? If so you may have gotten a false negative.

Good luck.

My daughter has the circles, too. Some days are better than others. I have a sneaking suspition that it's environmental. And . . . I have a fear that it might be the dog. We are going to try some otc zyrtec or claritan for kids - if they make it. FYI, benedryl doesn't guarentee gluten-free (saw that on another thread but don't remember which).

just wanted to agree with crittermom... from your original post it sounds like he was gluten free when you had the celiac blood panel. It will give a false negative, if you're already gluten free!!! good luck!