Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gentleheart

Baking Question

I have a favorite chocolate cake recipe that I have tinkered with until I got it just right for my tastebuds. I have A LOT of food intolerances. Recently I believe I am reacting to the caffeine in chocolate and now must avoid cocoa too. What would be a cup for cup substitute for cocoa in my cake so it will still come out right in consistency, etc.? I can't have dairy, eggs, soy and corn and I really don't care for carob. Milk or soymilk powder would probably be it if I could have it. I just don't think one of the legal starches will work. I'm afraid the cake would get too gummy, since the recipe asks for a cup of cocoa.

Thanks!

I have a favorite chocolate cake recipe that I have tinkered with until I got it just right for my tastebuds. I have A LOT of food intolerances. Recently I believe I am reacting to the caffeine in chocolate and now must avoid cocoa too. What would be a cup for cup substitute for cocoa in my cake so it will still come out right in consistency, etc.? I can't have dairy, eggs, soy and corn and I really don't care for carob. Milk or soymilk powder would probably be it if I could have it. I just don't think one of the legal starches will work. I'm afraid the cake would get too gummy, since the recipe asks for a cup of cocoa.

Thanks!

I would probably try to substitute almond flour (almond meal) for the cocoa and perhaps add a little bit of vanilla extract to the recipe for a different taste. Almond extract is another possibility but some people don't really care for the taste it conveys. Perhaps half a tsp of vanilla and a half a tsp of almond extract.

Another substitute for the cocoa could be coconut flour and then add some shredded coconut or even some coconut milk in for the liquid.

Good luck! Sounds like a fun experiment.

mamatide

:lol: bleh I don't like carob either

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately I am also allergic to almonds! I have used coconut flour in some things. I think it might get pretty gummy as well. Maybe I will just have to start over with another recipe. Thanks again! :)