This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Five Guys Burgers And Fries

VRB

VRB Newbie

I find it really hard to find French Fries. But if you are like me and love them then Five Guys is the place for you. They fry in 100% peanut oil and there is nothing else on the menu that could add to contamination. In fact, they already have a price item in their computer for a "bunless" burger or cheese burger.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

NWLAX36Mom Rookie

Their burgers and fries are delicious. I know my Five Guys uses Kraft cheese and that is safe too. They also cook the onions and mushrooms with nothing added. Yummmm.....

The cashier at my Five Guys is amazing. She must know someone with Celiac. She watches over the people fixing my food like a hawk, makes them change their gloves etc. before even getting out the foil for my burger. It's great!

• 2 years later...
DownWithGluten Explorer

Picked an old thread about Five Guys and wanted to tack on my question.

Yesterday I got some fries and noticed they had 'regular' or 'cajun.' I don't remember seeing the cajun option before. But generally I prefer things more spiced/salty so I would like to try it if I can. Does anyone know if the Cajun spiced fries at Five Guys are gluten free?

kareng Grand Master

Picked an old thread about Five Guys and wanted to tack on my question.

Yesterday I got some fries and noticed they had 'regular' or 'cajun.' I don't remember seeing the cajun option before. But generally I prefer things more spiced/salty so I would like to try it if I can. Does anyone know if the Cajun spiced fries at Five Guys are gluten free?

Just emailed them & told them we are all waiting for the answer. My 17 year old son keeps eating there with a friend - says he doing research to see if its safe for me.

DownWithGluten Explorer

Just emailed them & told them we are all waiting for the answer. My 17 year old son keeps eating there with a friend - says he doing research to see if its safe for me.

Oh cool, thanks. Let us know! (And lol to your son.)

Glamour Explorer

Allergic to peanuts and oil. Wanted to try Five Guys.

Many celiacs and people with food issues react to peanuts.

twe0708 Community Regular

I eat there almost every weekend. I just order a burger without the bun and fries. But be careful, because I went to one in downtown Tampa and the lady back there preparing my food actually thought that none of their food contained wheat. She was even nice enough to go out of her way to prove me wrong and printed out an ingredient list to show me that there isn't any wheat in their food. The list clearly states "FLOUR!"

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Still haven't heard back about the "cajun" flavor.

A nice restuarant here in town put on the gluten-free menu that the dressings aren't gluten-free because they have potato flour which is the same as flour.

• 4 months later...
glutenfr3309 Rookie

i LOVE five guys. this has become the only 'fast food' place that i will feel safe eating at!!

i don't go there often, but when i do everyone is so willing and happy to help.

i went there today for lunch- mentioned to them that i couldn't have the bun because of an allergy (i say this at restaurants so they take it seriously). he wrote on the ticket no bun- allergy and then i asked if they could change their gloves. he knew immediately and was going to tell them to do this anyways. i saw him turn around to the workers and explain to them. he also WATCHED as they made my burger.

this totally made my day!!

Frances03 Enthusiast

We just happened to eat here yesterday. They automatically changed their gloves when I told them I had a "wheat allergy", and then I asked them about the spatula, and they immediately said they'd use a new clean spatula to cook our burgers. I could see everything they did too. And the fries were totally safe. They even bagged our burgers and fries separately from the rest of my families. I didn't think the food itself was spectacular though, it was rather bland. I prefer the fries at Chick-Fil-A, but if my family is craving burgers, at least this is a place I can go.

• 2 years later...
Jewels50 Apprentice

Cross contamination is an issue with Five Guys.  I recently had a bad experience where one untrained, uneducated employee contaminated the "dedicated" fryers when she put buns on the "dedicated" grill and then used the same gloved hands to reach into the bag of fries and put them in the fryer.  She touched the condiments, wrapped burgers (with buns) with those same gloved hands.  She was trying to do it all by herself, I guess. 

I alerted them of my allergy (I actually have Celiac disease) and even went so far as to ask her to please change her gloves after touching the buns.  She did, for a while. 

Sad, but I won't be eating at a Five Guys anytime soon.

Archived