Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest thatchickali

Good News

Guest thatchickali

My diagnosis led me to changing my major to Nutrition Sciences and becoming a Registered Dietitian with a specialty in Celiac Disease and other food intolerances. I had been considering switching from Pharmacy to Nutrition but couldn't find the drive to give up on the hours I had already taken. I found my reason. Especially after seeing Dietitian after Dietitian, and none of them even know anything about Celiac. One of them thought it was only wheat. She was asking me "What can you eat on this diet".......I'm paying you to tell me.

Well I should be out in 5 years and ready to practice!! Look forward to it!

My diagnosis led me to changing my major to Nutrition Sciences and becoming a Registered Dietitian with a specialty in Celiac Disease and other food intolerances. I had been considering switching from Pharmacy to Nutrition but couldn't find the drive to give up on the hours I had already taken. I found my reason. Especially after seeing Dietitian after Dietitian, and none of them even know anything about Celiac. One of them thought it was only wheat. She was asking me "What can you eat on this diet".......I'm paying you to tell me.

Well I should be out in 5 years and ready to practice!! Look forward to it!

Wonderful!!!! Good Luck to You!!! Luckily I found a dietician in the Tulsa area that is really knowledgeable about the disease. She & her husband even went on the diet for a few months to learn more about. I really lucked out. Once You get your degree, your clients will have your personal understanding of the disease and a wealth of knowledge to bout. What a great combination!!!!!!! Cudos to YOU! :lol: Yea!

Billie

That's great!!!! The world need more of those, it seems as if they are a "rare breed", you will be able to do so much for the new patients. We were all lost, maybe one day not everyone will be as lost. :):) Good Luck!

My diagnosis led me to changing my major to Nutrition Sciences and becoming a Registered Dietitian with a specialty in Celiac Disease and other food intolerances.

Ali, that is FANTASTIC! I can't imagine a more proactive way to deal with all the stuff you've been going through! Also, you'll be fulfilling a BIG need. Selfishly, I hope you set up practice in the NY area, lol! Best of luck in your new course of studies!!!

Rho

Yay! I plan on doing this as well....I work in healthcare now, and I often see the need for a well informed dietician. You would think a hospital dietician (especially at a children's hospital) would have more of a clue, but I've seen mistakes happen quite often. I saw one patient who had "GLUTEN FREE DIET" in big bold print underlined twice on his chart, and when I went in the room he was eating a big piece of cheesecake, lol. I seriously doubt it was gluten free.

So YAY for more informed dieticians, patients desperately need them!

My diagnosis led me to changing my major to Nutrition Sciences and becoming a Registered Dietitian with a specialty in Celiac Disease and other food intolerances.

Ali that is terrific news, both for you and for celiacs and others who need this type of help. I'm so happy for you- you sound happier than last week. I was worried about you.

You will succeed in getting yourself healthy and getting that degree so that you can help others!

Best of luck in everything.

That is wonderful! Where are you going to school? I have considered it myself, but when I looked up schools, there weren't many "offical" R.D. programs in the US. I don't know what the difference is, but it seems like only some programs are backed by the ADA or something??