Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jewi0008

Which Of These Foods "glutened" Me?!

Today is Monday. I have been gassy (silent & smelly today). I have also had a little joint pain. Yesterday when I woke up and for the whole day I was extremely fatigued (I slept almost all day!), had a major headache, joint pain and was gassy. I think it was something I ate on Saturday...but not sure what? Here are the questionable things I had on Saturday:

1. Pumpkin Spice Lattee (Starbucks) - Large w/ Soy

2. Wheat and Gluten Free free buns (made with cheese, egg and corn oil)

3. Popcorn at the movie theatre

Any thoughts?!

Do you have a problem with casein or lacotse, i would bet that is what is causing that. Many celiacs have to give it up when they are first healing.

paula

Those are symptoms I get when I eat soy or casein (dairy) products, because I'm also intolerant to both of those things. Have you ever been tested for either of those?

Those are symptoms I get when I eat soy or casein (dairy) products, because I'm also intolerant to both of those things. Have you ever been tested for either of those?

No, I have never been tested for either of those. The only "testing" I've actually ever had is like a 60 panel scratch test in which I was allergic to nothing. Odd. They then said perhaps I have delayed reactions, in which a scratch test would prove nothing.

Guest kivmom3

I think it was the soy.

I would ask your docotor if he/she could do an allergy blood test for you for food sensitivities. That may help.

Gg

It could be casein or soy, except I bet Saturday wasn't the first time you've had those in your diet. I would wonder about the latte. Anyone know if the 'spice' in Pumpkin Pie Spice is gluten-free? Gosh I hope so, it isn't fall without my ps latte... :(

My guess is that you are not totally healed and are experiencing a degree of leaky---gut especially with the amount of carbohydrate you are consuming. RE-evaluate your consumption for gluten containing ingredients. Also, was there "butter" on the popcorn? It's not butter, you know, but a flavoring which may include modified food starch (made from wheat).

Today is Monday. I have been gassy (silent & smelly today). I have also had a little joint pain. Yesterday when I woke up and for the whole day I was extremely fatigued (I slept almost all day!), had a major headache, joint pain and was gassy. I think it was something I ate on Saturday...but not sure what? Here are the questionable things I had on Saturday:

1. Pumpkin Spice Lattee (Starbucks) - Large w/ Soy

2. Wheat and Gluten Free free buns (made with cheese, egg and corn oil)

3. Popcorn at the movie theatre

Any thoughts?!

You're reaction sounds like a classic glutening.

I called 1-800-23LATTE and they were very helpful about providing info about gluten. The Latte should be gluten-free if no CC and highly unlikely to have CC issues with such a beverage. For beverages, they said that toppings like java chips and general chocolate flakes have gluten. Did yours have stuff sprinkled on top?

If I were you, I'd check into the popcorn. I don't eat alot but it is my understanding that not all microwave popcorn is gluten-free and if that's the case, then other flavored popcorns are potentially not gluten-free. Plus CC could be a problem at the theater with all the gluten goodies around. There have been some discussions on this board in the past about theater popcorn.

I called 1-800-23LATTE and they were very helpful about providing info about gluten. The Latte should be gluten-free if no CC and highly unlikely to have CC issues with such a beverage. For beverages, they said that toppings like java chips and general chocolate flakes have gluten. Did yours have stuff sprinkled on top?

If I were you, I'd check into the popcorn. I don't eat alot but it is my understanding that not all microwave popcorn is gluten-free and if that's the case, then other flavored popcorns are potentially not gluten-free. Plus CC could be a problem at the theater with all the gluten goodies around. There have been some discussions on this board in the past about theater popcorn.

Thank you so much. I wonder if there is anyway to call that theatre to find out what type of "seasoning" they use on their popcorn because while there was NOT any butter on it...I guarantee it was seasoned with something. I'm feeling major after effects in my mouth for the past few days. It's just KILLING me!!!!

Also, do you know exactly where on here it talks about Movie Theater Popcorn? THANKS!

Guest thatchickali

I would give you a BIG FAT NO on the movie theatre popcorn. Bad move in my opinion.

Also they could have had a gluten containing drink in the same equipment as your starbucks drink.

Also, do you know exactly where on here it talks about Movie Theater Popcorn? THANKS!

If you look at the box above that says example search and erase the words "tomato sauce" and type in "movie theater popcorn" or your choice of words and click "search", a screen will pop up with lists of dicussions on the topic and you can click on them to view them individually

I don't know about anyone else but I get severe headaches every single time I drink a pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks. I know they supposedly are gluten-free but it never fails with the headaches, and a throbbing, unrelenting headache is for me THE unmistakeable sign of being glutened. I don't know. If S-bucks can guarantee this drink is gluten-free, maybe it's a caffeine sensitivity? But other types of caffeinated drinks from S-bucks seem to be fine. Could there be something in different drink syrups? I can't seem to have other flavoured drinks from there either like the cinnamon dolce latte but the regular latte is fine.... argh!

I never never eat popcorn from the theater - just can't be sure what they put on it. It's not like you can read any ingredients anywhere. I always bring my own. I pop it at home, season with real buter and salt, put it into a plastic zip lock bag and stuff it in my purse (I have a big purse....) I betting it was the popcorn.

I never never eat popcorn from the theater - just can't be sure what they put on it. It's not like you can read any ingredients anywhere. I always bring my own. I pop it at home, season with real butter and salt, put it into a plastic zip lock bag and stuff it in my purse (I have a big purse....) I'm betting it was the popcorn.

oops - something went wrong with my editing...

I don't know about anyone else but I get severe headaches every single time I drink a pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks. I know they supposedly are gluten-free but it never fails with the headaches, and a throbbing, unrelenting headache is for me THE unmistakeable sign of being glutened. I don't know. If S-bucks can guarantee this drink is gluten-free, maybe it's a caffeine sensitivity? But other types of caffeinated drinks from S-bucks seem to be fine. Could there be something in different drink syrups? I can't seem to have other flavoured drinks from there either like the cinnamon dolce latte but the regular latte is fine.... argh!

If the Starbucks coffee has a gluten additive like barley malt that tests out at a level that the government says is safe they can say it is gluten free even if it really isn't.

Also I used to work in a theatre running a popcorn machine. The amount of unrecognizable ingredients ie chemicals, is really disgusting IMHO. The theater should let you look at the ingredients list for the 'oil' and flavorings if you ask.