Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cielo304

Water Bath For Baking Cakes

I don't think it's because it's a "cake" that they recommend using a water bath but instead because cheesecake is actually more of a custard that happens to have a little flour added. Flour is such a small part of a cheesecake, I don't even think you normally need xanthan gum and you could use nearly any gluten free flour that you think tastes OK. I have even worked on a recipe for quesadilla salvadorena (a traditional breakfast treat from El Salvador that is sort of a sweet breakfast cheesecake/coffee cake) that doesn't use any xanthan gum or starch, only white rice flour. I don't bake it in a water bath, but if I'm baking it in a large dish and not in individual muffin tins, it normally cracks. If you want to prevent cracking and more even cooking for baked custards, you always want a water bath.

I bake a lot of cheesecakes and tortes in water baths. I think it keeps them from drying out. I did this before I baked gluten-free. I use a springform pan and usually wrap around the bottom and sides with aluminum foil- just in case any water leaks. Then put the springform pan in the middle of a casserole or baking pan and pour about an inch or so of water around it. Bake as normal.

When taking it out of the oven I usually lift the springform pan out of the water-filled pan and cool- as the water is usually boiling and a little tricky to handle! Good Luck!

Julie

i wasn't clear in my question. i don't want to make a gluten-free cheesecake. i want to make a regular gluten-free cake and promote more even baking by using the same principle (water bath) for a regular cake that prevents cracking in a cheesecake. thanks for everyone's help though.