Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest sammya

My 5yr Old Son's Diagnosis

Guest sammya

HI,

I'm writing to see if anyone can help me if possible. I am confirmed Coeliac(celiac) via biopsy, i have DQ2 and DQ8 gene. My blood work was all normal.

This is what has made this hard for me... :( My 5yr old son has tested positive for the DQ8 gene and he's TTG came back at 13...... Is this as good as positive for Coeliac(celiac)??????? I can't seem to find what is normal range for TTG.

My GI has told me to put him on Gluten free as he doesn't want to do Biopsy on him cause of he's age. My GI told me that my sons TTG results were in the grey, :huh:

Someone please help and enlighten me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe you could try him on the gluten free diet and then after a while retest to see if his TTG has gone down. Considering that you have Celiac and he has one of the genes and possibly positive bloodwork, I would think there is a fairly good chance that he has Celiac. And if he does have Celiac, the sooner his starts the diet the better. When he is older if you and he are really doubting that he actually has Celiac, he could always choose to go off the diet and be retested with a biopsy. I think that would probably be better than him continuing to eat gluten until he is old enough to have the biopsy done.

Another option is to look into the Entero Labs diagnosis. It is less invasive than a biopsy and you do not need a dr to request the test. That might give you the "solid" proof you are looking for.

Does your son have any symptoms of Celiacs? If yes, try the diet. If no, I would get the Entero Labs test and wait for those results to make my decision.